Chapter 6

A/N This chapter doesn't have much about Alex or anyone , it's about Hazel's first day at school . It isn't that important , but these characters I introduce now will pop up later in the story . It was surprisingly easy to write , both Darren and Emma's characters seemed to flow onto the page . It was only until after I realized I now a guy called Darren , who matches his description and has a personality exactly the same !  You probably don't care about that though ... Anyway , on with the story .

The next morning , Cait came round and knocked on my door to wake me up .

“It's Monday, Hazel “ She said , “School .”

I grunted and rolled over . I knew I'd have to get up sometime , though , so I let myself lie-o for ten minutes before getting up .

I got dressed in an old pair of jeans and a sweatshirt . I wasn't going to dress up for school .

Cait had breakfast ready for us when we came down . Tashie was already at the table , but she wasn't eating anything . I guessed it was her first day of school , and she was nervous .

“Did you get any word from Khalid or Nano , or Louis or … Well , did you hear anything about us being adopted ?” Terri asked , pushing her bowl away from her .

Was anyone eating anything ?

Cait shook her head . For a minute , I smiled , imagining she was answering my thought . Then she continued to speak , and I snapped out of it .

“I was talking to Nano last night , and he said that first , they needed to get the boys home . Then in the morning , they're going to leave them think about it , and at noon , he'll call them into the studio so everyone can discuss it . Hopefully , we'll find out later today .”

Smiles were passed around the table , and I glanced at Tashie . She was looking at me too , so I smiled at her . She bit her lip and raised her eyebrows , a smile teasing the corners of her mouth .

“Come on , guys” Cait said , “It's already twenty past seven . We have to leave at half past , and some of you are still in your pajamas ! Hurry up!”

We left the table , and Tashie and I went upstairs to get our things . We had some books , hand-me-downs from other people who'd lived here , but a lot we'd have to buy . Luckily , our new high school had a book rental scheme , so it'd be much cheaper .

“What time does school start ?” Tashie asked . I flipped open m journal , I'd stuck a timetable on the inside cover .

“7:45 “ I answered , “We have homeroom , for ...fifteen minutes , and then the classes start . Each class is about 45 minutes , and we have six . There's a recess for 15 minutes right after our second class , and a lunch break for 55 minutes right after our fourth . We also have … seven minutes in between each class .”

“I asked when school starts , not the complete timetable !” She teased , giving me a little shove, “Do you have your schedule yet ? You know , with all the classes ?”

I shook my head . “Not yet . Cait says we have to go to the office before school starts , and the secretary will give us everything we need .”

Tashie nodded . “I'm glad we're starting together “ She said .

“Me too .”

Cait drove us all to school . We were squashed into her minivan , all of us . Well , there were only six of us actually , the rest if the kids weren't going to the high school and had an extra ten minutes to laze around before their school started .