Chapter Twenty-One

18:20PM

I managed to find my way back to Matt's place, hoping he'd be there. I was wrong.

Now, I'm in his room, our room. Sitting on the bed, I fiddle with my fingers and eventually, grab my phone out of my bag. No texts and no missed calls. I texted Matt five times ever since he disappeared and called Claire twice and texted once. It went straight to answerphone again.

To Claire:
Claire, please pick up. I'm worried about you. I love you so much! Please call me back.

To Matt:
Where are you??

Sent at 13:04PM

To Matt:
Matt call me back! Denny didn't mean those things he said, I promise. I miss you and I'm scared something's happened to you. Let me know you're okay.

Sent at 14:57PM

To Matt:
You aren't at work. Where are you! I love you so much. Please don't ignore me. I need you!

Forever yours, Matt.
Forever and ever and ever and ever.

Sent at 15:36PM

To Matt:
Please call me back!

Sent at 16:09PM

To Matt:
I'm heading to yours now. I hope you're there right now. Please don't leave me.
I love you x

Sent 17:16PM

I got here at about quarter to six. In this time that has passed, I've changed into some of the clothes that I brought here on the night of the gala. Comfortable, black runner shorts hug my thighs and I wear a simple, black bra to complete the "casual" outfit. Also, I sorted out my hair once I arrived, using some of the appliances I brought as well.

Hearing a door close, I grab a nearby robe and run to the front room and see Klaus standing by the kitchen counter. He strides towards me and I smile at him.

"Hi."

"Good evening, Ms Cheslaw." He nods.

"What brings you here?" I tilt my head to one side.

"I have been arranged to pick up Mr Legato at half past six. Is he ready?"

I shake my head, "he's not here. In fact, I have no idea where he is."

Klaus frowns with his eyes narrowing, "when did you last see him?" He asks. The worry in his tone is quite suspicious. He knows something I don't, but then, so does everyone else.

"Lunch." I state shamefully, looking down at my feet.

He nods, "I will try my best to find him, Ms Cheslaw, stay here in the meantime."

I smile at him, "thank you, Klaus, and please, call me Liz."

"I prefer Ms Cheslaw. Farewell." He nods me goodbye and leaves.

Stumbling to the couch, I slump down and arrange my hair correctly to make sure I'm not laying directly on it. I stare at the ceiling and slowly find myself thinking of the worst. Evidently, Matt is a very strong man, but anything can happen to him. Squeezing my eyes shut, I block out all the negative theories about Matt and Claire. Klaus is out looking for Matt and Matt is helping out with the Claire matter. It'll be okay in the end. Slowly, I begin drifting away and my eyes slip shut. Falling into darkness, I allow myself to float into unconsciousness.

23:43PM

Groaning, I sit up from the couch and realise how dark it looks through the window. It's almost midnight and I hope Matt's back. Almost sprinting, I charge into the bedroom and frown in disappointment when I see the bed is empty and everything is just how I left it. He's not here.