22

22nd Chapter

The courtyard was crowded that lunch time. Students took shade under the big trees while eating their packed lunches. Most of them preferred eating outside because it was a lovely day with the gentle breeze and blue skies, though the temperature was unusually warm for a day in spring.

“It’s getting hot these days, huh?” Chanyeol said as he fanned himself with his notebook.

“Yeah. And it’s not even summer yet.” Kai agreed with a groan. “Look, I’m sweating more than Minseok hyung!”

“Here.” Kyungsoo handed him a towel.

“Thanks, Kyungsoo-yah.” He took it with a grin.

Baekhyun’s forehead creased. “It’s strange that you’re only nice to Jongin, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo just shrugged while Kai laughed. “It’s because Kyungsoo only loves me. Well, everyone loves me. And how many times do I have to tell you that it’s Kai?”

Baekhyun scrunched up his nose. “I don’t love you. And ’Kai’ doesn’t suit you.”

“But Jongin, if everyone loves you, who do you love?” Chen chimed in. “Is it Oh Hyerin?” He wiggled his brows teasingly.

“Oh, good question!” Chanyeol exclaimed. He and Chen exchanged high fives and giggled like giddy school girls who just watched a heart fluttering chick flick.

Kai’s cheeks turned red, embarrassed by their sudden question. He cleared his throat and answered, “It’s not like that.”

Kai was the most confident, sometimes almost arrogant, person in their group so seeing him getting shy and flustered was a new thing for them. Baekhyun exchanged glances with the previously giggling pair before joining in with the teasing. They laughed like idiots, making Kai blush even more.

“Yah! Stop it! I don’t see her that way!” He complained.

“You like her, right? You like her? Is this for real this time, Jongin?” Chanyeol asked excitedly.

“Come to think of it, we haven’t seen you date anyone ever since Sehunnie’s birthday.” Chen feigned shock. “Our Jongin has fallen in love!”

Baekhyun wiped invisible tears, trying to act dramatically. “Ah, this is a miracle. Our Jongin has grown up.”

Kyungsoo patted Kai’s shoulder. “Congratulations.”

“Stop assuming things, will you? I’m just friends with her!” Kai said exasperatedly.

Suho put down the book he was reading and sighed. “Umm, guys? Can you quiet down a little? I’m trying to read a book.”

“Oh, shut up, hyung.” Baekhyun retorted. “Why are you studying anyway? The exams are still a long way to go.”