Chapter 1

((EDITED 5/16/2016))

A/N: This is my first story on Wattpad, though I have written before. Please let me know what you think. Comments and reviews are much appreciated, and will encourage me to write faster. :)

Also, I am aware that I use a large amount of commas. I'll try to prevent myself from doing that but no promises.

Please don't advertise your stories on here, it is rude. Send me a message if you'd like me to read your story.

Lastly, the werewolf universe I'm using is slightly...different. It may not be apparent from the beginning but I'm going to try to differentiate mine from the others, if only slightly. Werewolves will not be the only supernatural creature in the story, although they will be the focus.

That's all, thanks! Enjoy :)

---

The moon shone bright and nearly full in the sky, its radiance giving the forest an ethereal glow. These woods were normally dark but the silvery light brought definition to everything, making the winding path through the undergrowth clearly visible.

Truthfully I didn't need the light of the moon to see. Not only had this path been worn down by the paws of many wolves before me, I also had extremely enhanced senses in my wolf state. My paws thudded against the ground in time with my beating heart as I shot through the forest. To a human observer I would just be an large silver blur shooting by, but there were no humans in these parts. Their natural instincts and fear of predators kept them away. Not that I had a particular inclination to feed on human flesh. It was forbidden by werewolf law, after all...or it was supposed to be. But a predator? Indeed, I was at the top of the food chain. The odd stillness of the surrounding forest, devoid of animal life as they crawled away in their holes to hide, was evidence of that.

Grinning a wolf grin, I finally slowed my pace to a quick walk. Now that I moved more slowly, my large paws made almost no noise on the thick bed of leaves below me. Although we looked like wolves, my kind was much larger and moved with an abnormal grace that natural wolves did not possess. All animals in the forest feared us, even the bears. A wolf even bigger than a lion could strike fear into almost anyone.

I stopped my walk as I entered a clearing, sitting back on my haunches and gazing up at the moon. It would be full tomorrow, I could feel it. Everyone in my pack could. The full moon did something to us; it made us stronger, faster, wilder as the blood burned through our veins. Most full moons we ran free in the woods, my entire pack, yipping and chasing each other like pups. Tomorrow, however, was the Meeting.

Thinking about it brought a strange mix of nervousness, fear, and determination. I had never been allowed to go to a Meeting before but I had been needling my father and the Beta for weeks, begging them to let me accompany them. I was pretty sure they were about to cave in at last. I was nineteen years old, after all, and my wolf was getting pretty strong. I should be allowed to go. Almost everyone else had had a chance.

Within my consciousness and my soul, I felt my Wolf's agreement. She was even braver than I and far more stubborn, and she'd been wanting to go for years. I mentally reassured her that we'd find a way this time. The curiosity was nearly killing me.

"SKYLAR!" I heard the voice through my mental link, cringing at my father's tone. He wasn't the Alpha of the pack, but he was well respected, being the Pack Doctor and all. He really could adapt the authoritative tone when he needed to.

"Coming," I replied irritably. "My Wolf and I wanted to run," I sounded a bit petulant, and wrinkled my snout, knowing he wouldn't like that. My father just sent an irritated noise through our mental link before closing it off, and I stood up, shaking out my thick silver coat before turning to head back to the pack.