Unfortunate Happenings Part 2

My eyes were sore and damp and my voice had gone raspy but I felt better than I had in awhile on the inside. I was sitting on a bench in front of Draco's house with him and relishing our time spent together.

"There's one thing," I began and he perked up to listen. "I can't break up with Dean. It would be too obvious that something happened with us and everyone would be on my case, including Dean because I really don't know if he saw those letters or not."

"I understand," he whispered and kissed me on the head. "I don't want to cause you anymore problems and heartache than you've already been dealt. As long as you love me, I don't care."

He was just so understanding that it made my heart skip a beat. "I don't know how I've made it without you for so long. I've missed you terribly," I said, and buried my head into his chest.

"I know, I've missed you more than you know," he said. "Just promise me one thing."

"Yes?"

"Don't snog Dean too much when you're with him," Draco said.

I sat up and looked him in his, now warm, grey eyes. I grabbed his hand and laid it on my heart. "Draco, you are the only person who can make my heart beat faster and slower at the same time. Dean has never done that," I lifted his hand up to my lips and kissed it. "You are the only one for me Draco Malfoy and one day, you'll be the only one I'm seeing."

He smiled and kissed me gently on the lips. "You've always been the only one for me. Ever since the day I saw you, I haven't thought about anyone else," his tone changed to something a bit darker, "If he ever treats you badly or hurts you in any way, you come tell me."

"I don't think you have to worry about that. He's really sweet to me and he was even too scared to disarm me in........well....he was too afraid because he thought he was going to hurt me," I laughed. I had almost spoke of the D.A. which we were not supposed to do.

"Why was he supposed to disarm you?"

"Just because....we were just practicing. You'd be proud of me, I'm quite good. I stunned him once or twice," I said proudly.

"I'd like to see that," he grinned.

"I'm sure you would. Well, I better get back now. They're all probably wondering where I'm at," I said standing up. He stood up with me.

"I'll miss you," he sighed and put his arms around me, kissing me softly.

I sighed heavily. I really didn't want to leave but I had to. 

"I love you," he said, holding my hand.

"I love you too," I said, letting go of his hand and walking towards my own house.

I walked through the fields outside of my house once more. It was beginning to get darker outside and it was freezing. 

I reached my house quickly and went through the back door. I had to go apologize to Dean first before I could do anything else. I ran up the stairs to my room and found Dean sitting on my bed with his head down. He looked right up when I walked into the room.

"I'm so sorry, Allie! I know I shouldn't have been in your things! I was just looking for some scissors because I was wrapping your Christmas present," he said quickly.

Great, now he was making me feel even worse. "It's okay, Dean. I'm sorry for over reacting like that. I just wasn't in a good place," I said and sat on my bed next to him.

"Where did you go?" 

"I just went outside and wandered around. I needed to clear my head."

At that moment, my parents walked in my bedroom. It felt weird seeing my mom knowing that she was sick.

"Allie, dear, we just came in here to tell you that I've invited the Malfoys to come over for Christmas dinner," my mother said, "They will be here tomorrow, so be ready."

My heart sank. Draco and Dean in the same room didn't seem like my ideal Christmas dinner. This is going to be awkward.

"Seriously? Dinner with the Malfoys? That is going to be awkward," Dean said once my parents left.

"Tell me about it."

The next day came faster than I'd like and soon it was already time for dinner. My mom made an enormous feast, probably because that's what the Malfoy's are accustomed to. I was in a white lace dress that was form fitting and extremely beautiful. 

"Wow, you look gorgeous," Dean blurted out when he saw me.

"Thank you," I smiled.

I wasn't doing it for him really, I was doing it for Draco. We walked downstairs together just in time for the Malfoys to arrive. 

I smiled at Draco as he walked into my home. He looked happy to be back and then he laid his eyes on me. I grinned as his eyes widened. I knew I looked great, as conceited as that may sound. Draco looked amazing as well. He was in his usual all black suit with a black tie to match.

We contrasted perfectly, my white dress and dark brown hair and his black suit and white blonde hair. It was amazing.

I almost forgot that Dean was with me until I saw Lucius Malfoy give him a disgusted look. Sure, I'm not in love with Dean or anything, but he was still my friend and my boyfriend at the moment so this look infuriated me.

I started to scowl back at him but Draco gave me a disapproving look so I stopped. It probably wasn't the best idea to start anything right now at Christmas dinner.

My dad came into the room soon which let me breath again. "Ah, Lucius and Narcissa! Welcome to our home. Dinner is ready!" he sang. I had no idea why he was so happy.

We all walked into the dining room and sat down at the table. It was my father at the head of the table, next to him on the right was my mom, Dean and then myself. On his right were Lucius, Narcissa and then Draco directly across from me.

My mom had already laid out the dinner in front of us. There were so many dishes but I didn't really feel up to eating at the moment.

"So, Dixon, how are things at the Ministry?" Lucius asked my father and they proceeded to strike up a boring conversation which left us kids to stare off into nothingness, bored out of our minds.

I could feel both Dean and Draco staring at me but I didn't dare look at either. I just sat there in awkward silence until I couldn't stand it anymore.

"I'm going to the bathroom," I said, standing up and heading to the bathroom upstairs.

I needed to splash my face with some cold water and freshen up a bit. I stared at myself in the mirror for about five minutes, contemplating going back downstairs. When I finally decided that I should make my appearance, I opened the door and ran straight into Draco.

"What are you doing up here?" I asked after regaining my cool.

"I came up here to give you my present," he said, a matter-of-factly.

"Draco, you didn't have to get me a present."

"Don't be silly. Of course I was going to get you a present," he said and I noticed he was carrying two things. A package and a golden rose. Literally, it was gold.

"I'll love you as long as that rose lives. Gold roses live forever," he smiled and handed it to me.

I swooned. I knew what ever else he had must be good because he had proven himself romantic, time and time again.

"I'm going back downstairs now. You open your present," he said, kissing me on the forhead and handing me the gift. He went back downstairs after that.

I opened the box that the gift was in and was soon proven correct about his romantic nature. It was a silver bracelet, a solid band with flowers all around it. The best part was inside. Words were inscribed around it, not just words, a poem.

"Once in a lifetime you find someone special,
Your lives intermingle and somehow you know.
This is the beginning of all you have longed for,
A love you can build on, a love that will grow.
Once in a lifetime to those who are lucky,
A miracle happens and dreams all come true.
I know it can happen, it happened to me,
For I've found my "once in a lifetime" with you."

If swirled around the bracelet like a marquee, new words appearing to finish the poem. It was beautiful, so beautiful that it brought tears to my eyes. How did I get so lucky?

Now, all I wanted was for this awkward dinner to be over so I can get back to Hogwarts and meet Draco again for real. Just like we used to.