one

this was it, the last week of middle school. 

it was the end of an era. misha hoped to herself that the end of this era meant riley matthews wasn't the main character of the show.

of course she loved riley; everyone did. misha was just tired of this 'core four' being treated like the kings of the school. she had been in the same history class since seventh grade, which was also riley's father, mr. matthews's class. misha loved the lessons mr. matthews taught, she'd just like them a lot better if they weren't guided towards the happenings of the riley and her friend's lives.

misha walked through the halls of john quincy adams middle school with her head hung low. she looked up occasionally, flashing a smile at whatever teacher said hello. she slipped into her first class of the day and sat in the corner of the front row. 

the bell rang, and first period history started. misha forced herself to wake up as mr. matthews walked in. she was finally taking in her surroundings: the word "legacy" was written on the board. the teacher began to introduce his lesson until he got interrupted by a disturbance. 

there was a goose on farkle minkus's desk, but farkle was nowhere to be seen.

"why is farkle a goose?" matthews abrubtly asked. his daughter, riley, turned back at the goose sitting on farkle's desk. it was wearing an einstein academy uniform. 

"it's the einstein academy goose!"

a few of the kids laughed in the back of the room, but misha was confused. why is there a goose here from einstein academy? "oh, of course it's the einstein academy goose," mr. matthews said as if it explained everything, "why is it on farkle's desk?"

"einstein captured farkle," maya retorted. misha mentally sighed when lucas friar opened his mouth. today was going to be another day where they ran the show, wasn't it?

"it was their end of the year prank," he told cory. maya continued the story, "since they took our mascot-" 

"we took theirs. and now we're even!" riley interrupted, with a wide-tooth grin. 

"farkle's not a mascot," mr. matthews scolded the three. "what would you call him?" maya countered. misha knew the answer to her question. he was farkle, goofy and adorable. misha had what she would call a "friend-crush" on farkle. she desperately wanted to become friends with him, but didn't want to intrude on his perfect life. her thoughts were interrupted by mr. matthews.

"all right, guys. listen up. it's your last week of school. this is my last chance to teach you something." mr. matthews spoke seriously, ignoring the goose. if only he could get to it, misha thought.

misha raised her hand. to her surprise, he called on her. "do you have more to teach us?" everyone turned their heads from misha to cory. he nodded before speaking. "i have so much more i wanna teach you. so much more. i mean, you guys are gonna be leaving this place. what will you be leaving behind? what is your legacy? i wanna talk about just what you've gotten from this place, but what you've given." she smiled at his response.

maya started talking and gesturing about something. misha spaced off until the last sentence. "that would be hi-larious!"

"i'll tell you what's hi-larious," misha, as well as the rest of the class, turned to farkle, who stood in the doorway. "nobody saved me! why did nobody save me?" he pouted.