nine

"misha, sparkle is here!" miles yelled. misha scoffed. she didn't expect farkle to come over; in fact, she actually was expecting lucas. he was supposed to be coming over to work on their project.

she walked to the door, looking through the peephole. it was lucas. misha pulled the door open. "miles, just because someone knocks on the door doesn't mean it's farkle," she scolded her younger brother.

"well he's the only one that knocks. who's this one?" he asked her. misha ignored the small boy, turning to lucas. "hi, lucas. this is my younger brother miles."

the blond boy looked down and waved. miles waved back before turning around, running, and jumping onto the couch in a swift movement. he stood on the arm rest so he was taller than lucas. "alright boy! i must swear you in," miles shouted.

lucas was dumbfounded at what was going on. "just go along with it. he does this every time a boy comes over," misha whispered. he nodded.

"misha, fetch me my mr. googly book!"

she scurried to a bookshelf and grabbed it with no question. miles held the book up before reciting a question. "do you, lucas..." miles paused, questioning his last name."

"guy, promise to never participate in any funny business underneath my roof?"

lucas placed his hand on the book, holding in laughter, "i do." 

miles smiled, pulling the book down. "alrighty, you may not touch my sister!"misha laughed aloud. "thank you miles," she picked him up and put him back onto the floor. 

lucas followed misha into her room. she threw her stuff onto her bed.

"sorry about that funny business stuff. he's been like that since farkle came over here." misha apologized. lucas laughed it off. "no, you've got a great brother there. i've never really had someone as protective of me as he is of you. it's neat."

misha smiled. there was a moment of silence that crept among the two. things hadn't necessarily been resolved between riley, lucas, and maya. misha was thrown in the middle, even though she had her own problems with isadora and farkle. misha wished to be in zay's position. he was probably just enjoying the show. 

"why didn't you tell maya you liked her? things would be a lot easier if you would have told her. i get that you like riley too, but you've got to like someone a bit more," misha blurted. lucas's eyes widened. she slowly regretted what she said, but couldn't take it back.

"why didn't you tell farkle you liked him?" he snapped back. misha blink. "maybe i don't like him! you don't know me, lucas, not as well as everyone else does." misha felt her cheeks getting red as she yelled. whenever she was angry, she looked like a strawberry.

"all i know is that you should understand more than anyone else how hard this is for me," lucas mumbled. awkward silence followed again.

misha took her bag and got everything she needed out. "so, about roanoke! i've got a theory that i think we could discuss in our presentation..."she trailed.

--

the next day was thursday. misha was tired. she did most of the work for her project after lucas left. he wasn't focussed on the project whatsoever, so she decided to finish it on her own so she didn't have to worry about it later.

misha pulled sweatpants on over her shorts and walked out of her house. her large hoodie hugged her loosely. she held a coffee mug in one hand, a hair brush in the other.