four

when riley, maya, and misha burst through the doors of abigail adams high school, they didn't expect to be kings. they weren't. they were worms, fresh and ready to be picked on.

"this is it!" maya exclaimed. "high school! we're gonna be kings!" riley continued, laughing. misha beamed at her friends. of course she knew they weren't going to be "kings," but it was nice starting school off with a group of people to lean on.

they split up and went to their lockers, getting ready for first period. misha's was farther away than the rest of her friends; she already felt secluded. she tried the combination on the lock a few times, groaning as she realized she couldn't get it open.

"need help?" misha jumped at the sudden voice next to her. "does it look like it?" she nervously laughed, turning to a boy she didn't recognize. he looked her age, maybe older. he had curly dark hair and dark eyes, with a light skin tone.

he laughed in response. "here, let me help." the boy asked misha for her combination before turning the lock. it opened on his first try. "wow, thanks..."

"will," the boy finished for misha. she grinned to the boy, starting to put her things in the locker. "my name is misha. what class do you have first period?" she looked up, but will was already gone.

she shrugged it off and then walked to language. class wasn't boring. she said "here" when called on in the beginning and then didn't have to do much.

though her teacher was in the middle of a sentence, misha jumped out of her seat as soon as the bell rang.

misha walked to her group of friends, who were standing with their backs to her. she stood beside riley to see what they were looking at. there were three seniors standing, two girls and one boy. they were singing, which was really weird to misha.

"oh, we have come to abigail, with innocence of soul. and what we are is freshman. so, we go into the..." they began, pausing for dramatic effect. "hole."

misha's mouth dropped. not at any talent, but at the fact that they had a freshman song. "it's beautiful," riley beamed. "riley!" maya scolded.

"you know, it's not so bad down here." the group flicked their heads to see zay, already down in the hole. "you're already down there?"

"oh, i saw how this was going," he told them. riley ignored him, continuing to sing the song. "oh we have come to abigail," she dramatically sang out, walking down the steps and into the hole.

the rest of the friends followed her down, dragging their feet. "we were kings," maya groaned. "yeah, that's over," one of the seniors told them.

"you know we're not gonna stay down here, right?" lucas spoke up, trying to be the alpha male. "you know as soon as you leave, we're going to go to class."

the tall brunette senior laughed. "oh, we want you to go to class." the boy continued for her. "but spend your free time here because of what spunky said."

misha groaned. "what, 'we were kings?'" farkle looked to her in a way that told her to shut up. she thought this was unnecessary. why were they the only freshmen being targeted?

"yeah, in middle school you were. we all were. right now you're not; we are." he countered. "we walk anywhere we want and you don't."

"why, because you say so?" maya furrowed her eyebrows. it was nice that she had misha's back. "yeah. you'll know when to come out," the blonde senior told them.