five

"why are you in the hole?"

misha looked up to see handsome junior boy, will mcallister. her cheeks burned a light shade of red. she turned to riley and maya, who were trying to get a bag of chips out of the vending machine.

"i'm trying to learn something." she knew it sounded silly, so she looked down. "well you should get back with me on that after you learn it," he smiled.

misha nodded to the older boy. he stood from how he was crouched down to get to class. she turned back to riley and maya, plopping herself onto the ground next to them.

"maybe we shouldn't think about them today," maya said. misha nodded.

riley disagreed. she dramatically sobbed. "i hope farkle remembers that science can't explain people and he keeps himself open to love."

"you gonna do one for each?" misha sighed. riley nodded, so she situated herself. it was gonna be a while. "give me a couple bucks for a brownie," maya demanded.

misha scavenged her pocket and handed maya three dollars. "okay, maya. i want juice."

riley ignored them. "i hope smackle looks up from her books every once in a while so that she doesn't miss life."

"apple?" maya asked misha. "grape."

once again, she wasn't bothered by misha or maya. "i hope zay stops using comedy to cover up his inner turmoil."

"uh, they're out of grape," maya yelled. "surprise me." misha waited a moment until maya came back.

"they're not really out of grape!" she handed misha the grape juice. misha laughed. "what a nice surprise!"

"did you get to lucas yet?" maya chomped on her brownie. "i hope lucas... i hope lucas..." riley began. "i hope lucas has a very bad day," she growled in a whisper tone.

misha patted the tall girl's back with a chuckle. "so... what can we learn from down here?"

misha sipped on the grape juice, not really aware of what was happening. she was looking at people's shoes, commenting on them as if she were on fashion police.

when the bell rang, she collected her stuff and was headed to history. she sat in her seat, reading the word on the board. "massacre."

how fitting.

"why 'massacre?' why you got 'massacre' up there?" marly stepped in with a disappointed look on her face. "why can't you just teach us names and dates?"

misha rolled her eyes. she liked the way mr. matthews taught.

"marly evans and what she learns today!" mr. matthews yelled. "that's the name and date i care about," she countered.

"all of you and right now, are you listening to me?"

a few students hummed in response. "good. it was patriots who founded our new land and it was patriots who fought for it. why do we remember the alamo? farkle, smackle, a duet. go."

"the alamo was a small, isolated fortress with a handful of patriots inside who felt it was important to stick together and fight for what they believed. they were surrounded by a much larger number of people, coming at them from all directions, who believed this place belonged to them," farkle began.