thirteen--the real world

"the sun shines during the day. ms. matthews will argue the affirmative," cory gestured to riley. she wore a large grin on her face. "good morning, everybody. you know why people say that in the morning?"

riley asked the question, even though she was going to day the answer. "poom!" she gestured toward the window that had sunlight shining through. "nailed it."

"how can you possibly lose?" maya asked in awe.

"like this," misha pointed to farkle with a grin. maya gagged.

first of all, let's understand that day and night are merely words invented by human beings to communicate simple conceptual constructs apropos of nothing."

"ooh!" misha exclaimed. "he's won!" she yelled. "my boy is a winner, unlike this cabbage patch kid," misha continued.

farkle dramatically winked at misha. "barf," maya gagged.

"anyway, science tells us that the sun is always shining and what appears to be day and night is merely our angle of proximity at a particular time to the earth's revolution." he continued. misha had no idea what he was talking about.

"aaand, for extra credit, there's no such thing as time," farkle finished with a smirk. "time!" riley yelled, to mock him. "our debate topic therefore, is false. the sun does not just shine during the day, it also shines during the night, just not on us." 

misha clapped, but was the only one who did.

"i win!" riley yelled. "how do you win?" misha scoffed. "because I have high hopes. because when you believe passionately..." she trailed.

cory interrupted her. "and our debate winner is farkle minkus!" riley gasped in surprise. "i don't understand. i said what I believed. how could that be wrong?"

"there's no wrong, riley. but there are rules to a debate," cory explained. riley laughed. "okay, who cares about the rules when we know that the sun shines during the day?" she asked as if the answer was obvious.

"that's interesting, isn't it? how often do we get so lost in what we think, that we refuse to listen to what the other side has to say, huh?"

he continued. "you guys know why we debate in history class? history teaches us that most wars start because we don't listen to the other point of view. "

she shook her head. "i'm not trying to start a war. i just think it's okay to feel strongly about what you believe in," riley elaborated. cory shook his head. "riley, it's not enough to go through life without considering the other point of view."

misha leaned over to maya. she whispered "next they're going to argue." maya shook her head.

"oh, i'm sorry, i couldn't hear you. the sun was in my ears!" she exclaimed. the class laughed. "riley," mr. matthews scolded. "cory," she mocked.

"how do you do that?" maya asked in disbelief. "here we go," misha laughed. "i love this class so much," zay joined in.

"being passionate about what you believe in is the only way to live. o don't need your facts, and i certainly don't need your points of view," riley ranted.

"aand now they are going to switch sides," misha predicted to maya. the blond shook her head.

"switch sides," mr. matthews instructed. "what?" maya and riley said in unison. "switch sides. argue the other side."