8) Disaster is His Middle Name

JAKOB'S POV
I struggled to get up in bed only to be able to be at dinner over Ethan's place. I got dressed and snuck out my window. I straightened my clothes and headed to the garage. I crawled under the small hole that lead to it. Joey and I used to call it the 'emergency hole' when we were kids. I waited for my eyes to adjust in the dark. Only mom's car was there. Dad's wasn't there and neither was Joey's. I can't take mom's. She'll drag me all the way back to my room.
Great...I have to walk.

I crawled back out and made my way down the road. I could feel my head throb with each step. Soon, I felt like lying down on the cold pavement. But no. I have to keep going.
Is it even worth it?
I am not gonna let things happen between Aliyah and Ethan. I waited a year for her. I thought going on movie dates would help me get to the next level but nah...she's still insensible of my feelings for her.
Or maybe I'm too subtle?

Just as I was about to give up, I found myself on Ethan's doorstep. I stood up straight, fixed myself as best as I could, then rang the doorbell.
Ethan answered the door.

"Hey, man!" I greeted him, smiling as if I'm not about to fall over.

"Jakob! I thought you were sick?"

"Psshhh! Just a small headache." I waved my hand dismissively.

"Great to see that you're doing fine," Ethan said while giving me a pat on the shoulder. I felt like a nail that's being hammered to the floor.
"I saved a seat for you. I was hoping that you'd make it somehow...and you did!"

He welcomed me inside and I saw Aliyah, Joey, and Ethan's dad in the dining room. Joey's mouth hung open.
Good thing there wasn't any food in there.
"Jakob! Why are you here?"

"I missed movie night...don't wanna miss dinner, too."

As Ethan and I made our way to the dining room, Aliyah beamed at me. "Good to see you again, Jakob!"

"You too." I smiled.

***

I was almost halfway through with my dinner when the world started to spin.
Shit.
I checked how the others were doing. They don't seem to suspect that something's wrong with me. I drank a full glass of water and poured myself some more. Beads of sweat started to form on my forehead. I took a deep breath and proceeded with my dinner. I saw Aliyah look at me with concern as I knocked back another glass. One side of my head felt heavier than the other.

The last thing I saw before everything went black was a plate of half-finished mashed potatoes.

***

When I came to, I saw Aliyah and Joey hovering over me. I was already in my room, lying on my bed.
"Wha-...what happened?" I asked groggily.

"You passed out on the table," said Joey, stifling a laugh. "Your whole face was covered in mashed potaoes."
He lost it at 'potatoes'.

Aliyah bit hard on her lip, trying not to laugh out of respect. I buried my face in both hands.
This.is.embarrassing.

"Why did you force yourself out of bed, Jakob?" She asked sweetly. "You know you're not well."

"I only wanted to--" I almost told her the truth. "...I only wanted to be with you guys again."

She sighed and cupped my face with one hand. "I promise we'll do a whole bunch of stuff together once you get better."
She kissed me on the forehead and bid Joey and I a good night.

***

I woke up to the sound of a bell ringing. "Breakfast in bed potato face!" Joey teased.

I groaned. "Let me guess, you volunteered to bring my food so you can make fun of me, right?"

"Oh little bro, you know me too well," he said with an elvish grin.

"Is dad here?"
I need to talk to him.

"Yeah, want me to call him?"

"Yes, please...now."

Dad stepped in my room, eyes worried. He managed to keep the rest of his face uplifting though, I'll give him that. "How're you doing?"

"Not good, dad...not good."
'Not good' was an understatement.
"I embarrassed myself in front of all of them...especially Aliyah. What am I supposed to do now? That was a major turn-off!"

"Play it cool," he advised. "Laugh about it. She wouldn't care."

"Really?" I asked anxiously.

"Yeah. Aliyah's different. Don't get so uptight about it."

I decided to stick with dad's advice. After all, he knows Aliyah way better than I do. Seconds after, I got a call from her. She was asking if she could drop by and check how I was doing but I told her that she doesn't have to come over. She insisted but I...insisted more.
I don't want her to see me like this.

"Who was that?" Dad asked.

"Aliyah."

"What did she say?" He leaned forward, eagerly waiting for an answer.

I thought about bending the truth but I didn't. "She asked if she could come over."

"And you told her not to??? Thanks, for following my advice." He said sarcastically.

"I'm sorry...I was nervous! And still embarrassed, for your information."

"Alright." He patted my shoulder. "Get well soon, daredevil."
Dad stood up then headed out the door.

"Well, you tend to do stupid things when you're in love." I told him before he could leave.

BILLIE'S POV
That stopped me on my tracks.

I remembered the time I looked for Aliyah and took her with me to Cali. I remembered the time I drove like crazy only to get her back. My family could've died that time...I was stupid. I was in love. In love with her. With Aliyah.
Gawd, how I miss her!
-
But I guess she's doing fine with Ethan now. Or Jakob...or Joey...or anyone.

Anyone but me.

I want to be hers again. And I want her to be mine...but it's over. We're done.

"Yeah," I agreed with Jakob. "You can really do stupid things when you're in love."