9) Don't Wake Me Up When September Ends

ALIYAH'S POV
Two months have passed and school has already started. I don't get to hang out with the guys that much anymore. Joey and Jakob would occasionally visit me (and by 'visit' I mean coming home in the afternoon to see two guys on my couch playing Xbox) and Ethan would ask me to come over to talk, play video games, or watch a movie. It's nice to know that they try to spend time with me even though they're busy with schoolwork.

Through those past months, Ethan and I have gotten a little closer. And I've also gotten the hang of him calling me Jasmine.

Billie still treats me like a kid/friend.
It sucks.
He's making it even weirder for us! It'd be better if he would just shut up.

***

The band and I are warming up backstage. Billie vocalized while wandering about, Mike played his bass, and Tre kept bouncing his feet while hitting an invisible drum set in front of him.

I sat there, remembering my first Green Day concert...I remember how it was like to be down stage
-
-
-
until Billie pulled me up onstage and let me play.
I remember looking at his emerald eyes as if they were real precious jewels. I remember him inviting me backstage. He said he was gonna give me a little tour haha. I remember how elated I was when I told Kean about it.
Kean...haven't seen him for long while.
I tried to shake off the memories in my head. But wish me luck with that since I'm surrounded by a bunch of stuff that demands to be remembered.

"You ready?" Jason asked me.

"Yeah." I said. I grabbed my guitar then ran towards the stage.

***

The concert was going well until Jason started picking the notes for Wake Me Up When September Ends. As Billie started to sing, tears welled up in my eyes.
I remember the time I did all that I can only to see him again. I remember how he hugged me so tight like he wouldn't dare let me go...
-
-
-
but he did.

A single tear trickled down my cheek. I quickly fixed my eyes on the ground so no one would see. I started to play the rhythm, tears dripping down my guitar like rain. This is too much for me to handle. I know months have passed since Billie and I went separate ways but the wound in my heart is still fresh.

We soon came to the part where I'm supposed to sing the backing vocals but obviously I'm not in the right state to do it. Instead, clamped my mouth shut, eyes still on the ground.

Suddenly, Tre stopped drumming. I froze. I know it's because of me. I stopped playing too.
"Hey." Billie said as he lifted my chin up to face him. "You can take a break backstage if you want."

I fell madly in love with him again. I wanted to kiss him in front of the entire Idiot Nation. I would if I could but I can't.
"I'm...I'll be fine," I choked out.
He cupped my face in both hands and gently wiped away a couple of tears with his thumb.
I don't want this moment to end. I want to stay lost in his gorgeous eyes.
He then kissed my forehead and squeezed my shoulders lightly. Billie smiled at me warmly and I gave one in return. I hadn't noticed that the audience was silent. I looked at them, tears still streaming down my face, then gave them a cheeky smile.
They cheered. I don't really know why but I guess when people love you, they will cheer for...whatever your doing.

We then finished our final song then headed backstage. I was still a little embarrassed about my breakdown a while ago. Again, I feel pathetic. I'm better than this.
But one cannot simply control their emotions.

As if they could read my mind, Mike and Tre sandwiched me in a playful hug. That cheered me up a lot. I'm glad to have them both in my life.

"You okay now?" Tre asked, pinching my cheek softly.

"Yeah," I said, smiling.

We continued to walk backstage, talking about how the concert went. Mike, Tre, and Jason eventually got ahead of me and I heard Billie call me from behind. I spun on my heel to face him.

"You okay?" He asked, catching up to me.

"Yeah."

"You sure you're okay?" He asked with much concern that it annoyed me. I don't need his pity. He asked it in a 'I'm-sorry-for-what-happened-between-us-but-are-you-sure-you're-gonna-be-okay?' type of manner. As if he would actually do something about it.

"Yes, I'm fine Billie," I said sharply. I was surprised with my tone. I didn't intend for it to come out like that. But I can't take it back so I proceeded to board our bus.