Faux Tans

This summer I've made the most of the heat and spent a lot of time outside, visiting cottages on the weekends, spending evenings in the park, and riding my bike to work most days. Despite always wearing at least SPF 25 (all those women's magazine warnings drilled an early fear into me) I've inherited my dad's skin and I bronze fairly easily - everywhere except for my face and my legs where I use some extra help from these products to even it out and make me feel sunkissed and glow-y.

 Despite always wearing at least SPF 25 (all those women's magazine warnings drilled an early fear into me) I've inherited my dad's skin and I bronze fairly easily - everywhere except for my face and my legs where I use some extra help from these ...

Josie Maran Argan Liquid Gold Self-Tanning Oil

My first fake tanning experience was in middle school and was a disaster. I had blotchy orange streaks all up my legs and despite the heat I wore full length pants until it faded away. Formulations have gotten a million times better since then! I was hesitant to try self tanners again but had read some great reviews of this one and worked up the courage to try again. This gives the darkest colour of the products I use and I only use it on my legs, but it's still not too dark and the perfect balance of subtle but noticeable colour that can be built up over repeated use. Because it's not a lotion, it's easier to apply evenly and the slight tint lets you see where you've used it already. The argan oil is also *extremely* moisturizing so not only do you get some colour but your legs are super soft for days after using it. It also doesn't transfer, so you can wear it overnight without staining your sheets

Vita Liberata Self Tanning Night Moisture Mask

I wasn't looking for a self tanner when I bought this. I went into Sephora looking for a recommendation for my for dry winter skin and the woman showed me this. I almost didn't buy it, I was so such it wasn't what I was looking for. But the sales assistant was so insistent that I decided to trust her and took it home. I'm now halfway through my second tube. This is hardly a self tanning product at all and it's the only one I use year-round. It's definitely not the product for intense colour. It's super subtle and hardly noticeable, I find it's just enough colour to counteract any redness and even out my skin tone. It's the most moisturizing product without being oily and always cures any dry, flaky skin. I've been telling everyone I know to buy it since I discovered it earlier this year.

Clarins Liquid Bronze Self Tanning

This product is designed for the face and has lots of great skincare side-effects too. It's a milky consistency that you apply with a cotton pad like a toner in the summer every few nights when I want more colour than the Vita Liberata night mask. It's not the slightest bit orangey and just adds a subtle tan that gets darker the more frequently you use it. It will take about 2 uses to notice any difference and 3-4 uses in a row to look more visibly tanned.

Guerlain Terracotta Bronzing Powder

Guerlain claim their product was the world's first bronzer, which I don't believe but it is a cult classic. It's not sparkly and the colour is super natural (and comes in 15 shades). The packaging is beautiful and I've had the same compact since I was a teenager (which is probably gross, but it lasts forever). I find when I have a tan I don't feel like I need to wear heavy makeup and a sweep of this on my face is all I do on most days. I apply it like Jane Marie advises in the video below: imagine you're a fancy lady wearing sunglasses driving a convertible and just around where the sunglasses would be is where you should apply bronzer for the most natural look.

Nars Monoi Body Glow

This is another one I only use on my legs, and also only use it going out at night since it's a little too bling-y for day. This is a scented, glittery body oil that smells like tiare flowers - which is also the main note of the Ouai products I mentioned in my last post (I've been a bit obsessed with this scent lately). This just adds some shimmery colour and moisture that is great in the summer when and it's not a tanning product so it washes right off without the same commitment of the other oil I mentioned (but don't wear it with anything light coloured because this one stains!)