Banter

Grant didn't text me for a couple days after that. Honestly, I had given up hope. When I didn't receive one later that night, I was sure I would get one the next day before lunch. When that didn't happen, I figured I would return to my usual, boring routine. It was that following morning that I found a text waiting for me once I finished taking my morning shower. I we getting ready to go to the cafeteria to grab a late breakfast before heading to another class.

1-213-555-2894 at 9:41 AM: Hey, do you remember that guy you spilled coffee on a couple days ago...?

Cam at 9:54 AM: Let me guess... Someone needs a new shirt.

Grant at 9:56 AM: No, not really. Just had to think of a way to start texting you

Cam at 9:56 AM: And that's what we settled on?

Grant at 9:58 AM: I was going to say "Hey it's Grant" but our introductions never made it that far.

Cam at 10:01 AM: Granted.

Cam at 10:01 AM: Ayeee see what I did there?? 😜😏

Grant at 10:03 AM: I did haha So did you get to wherever you needed to go on time? You were in a rush the other day.

Cam at 10:04: Yeah, thanks. I just had to go to class. My professor is really strict about time me being late.

Grant at 10:04 AM: Ahhh got it

Cam at 10:10 AM: But how did things go for you? You had to walk around with the stain. Also I hope the coffee didn't burn you through your shirt!

Grant at 10:12 AM: Nah I'm fine. I just threw those clothes to grab coffee. I ended up going back to my hotel and changing clothes before I ventured back out into the city anyway.

Cam at 10:13 AM: Ahh how long are you in NYC for?

Grant at 10:13 AM: My flight leaves early tomorrow morning.

Cam at 10:14 AM: Oh no! Then how will I spill coffee on you?

Grant at 10:17 AM: You could always pick a new victim... 🤔🤔🤔

Cam at 10:20 AM: I could never just cheat on you like that! We've gone through so much together

Grant at 10:21 AM: Clearly. What did I do to deserve this kind of loyalty and commitment?

Cam at 10:21 AM: Look down at your phone when you were walking instead of paying attention

Grant at 10:21 AM: Touché

Cam at 10:24 AM: Which begs the question: are you doing the exact same thing now and potentially about to bump into someone else again?

Grant at 10:25 AM: Oh no, my dear, that behavior is exclusively reserved for you

Grant at 10:27 AM: Though you are capable of doing the same thing...??

Cam at 10:27 AM: I mean-- I am but it'd be a little difficult. I'm just in my room getting ready to go grab food and go to class.

Grant at 10:27 AM: #RiseAndGrind

Cam at 10:27 AM: It is what it is. What about you?

Grant at 10:28 AM: Well, I've been out of college for a while now so I'm not going to class. I'm just working.

Cam at 10:30 AM: And texting me like this? You should probably go do some work then...

Cam at 11:01 AM: Grant?

Cam at 11:56 AM: Well, ok then...

I walked into my classroom for my twelve o'clock History class. I put my phone on silent and dropped it in my bag as I grabbed a seat. All I could do was hope that Grant hadn't gotten in trouble for texting  so I just pulled out my notebook and pen to get ready for the lecture to start.