Zinger

I left Vancouver on Sunday after Grant and I spent the weekend together and I felt like I was floating on Cloud Nine. I had no intention of ever coming down. There was hand-holding, cuddling, and just small moments that really made me appreciate him so much more; however, absolutely no homework got done over the weekend. I had managed to visit when things were not the most stressful but nonetheless I still had work today before class on Monday morning. In order to do that, I bought the overpriced in-plane service Wifi and got to work.

With my headphones in and the music playing through the buds, I quickly went through my assigned readings. I had pulled my laptop out of my backpack and began writing a response to the readings as a notification flashed across the screen. It was a message from Grant and reading it made me stop everything mid-motion.

He must not have realized that I would receive iMessage between our iPhones. How could he? I was nearly 30,000 feet in the air! I didn't respond to him partially because I was in pure shock and I had no idea what to say. In that moment, I had felt trapped in every sense of the world. The notification went away and I just looked at the red bubble '1' over my messages icon at the bottom of my desktop.

Of my five hour flight, I had four my hours to go. Four hours to think. Four hours to be alone with my thoughts. Four hours to just be. Grant just dropped a bombshell on me. I tried to ignore the red alert at the bottom of my screen. I just wanted it to go away but I didn't want him to know that I read his message, that I saw what he was asking of me. The notification was bothering me so I just shut my computer on the tabletop and tried to go back to reading something. It was of no use so I switched to listening to music on my phone, shut my eyes, and leaned my head back. Granted, it wasn't like I could get any sleep. I wasn't even in the least bit tired or so I thought.

I had drifted into a state of lightness and I felt like I was flying minus the fact that I was. My mind was drifting again and wandering. The song through my earbuds faded out a newer, slower one came through. The ginger voice crooned in my ears and the creases in my forehead that had come from confusion and stress, from Grant, began to fade away.

Everything was fine as long as I continued to be in this in-between state but something was rattling. No, something was rattling me. No, I'm rattling. Wait, why I am I rattling? I opened my eyes and felt a large bump as my butt came off the seat.

Chime. "This is your captain speaking: it seems we have run into a bit of turbulence. At this time, I would ask that everyone take their seats and fasten their seatbelts." Chime.

After my brief moment of elevation when my butt was no longer planted on the seat where I had left it, I took that as a lesson and tightened the strap low and tight. I returned my computer back to my backpack and I pulled my phone out from my pocket to check the time. It hadn't even been a hour but Grant's message was still there.

Grant at 9:42 AM: I think we should move in together.

I unlocked my phone and finally opened it but I didn't respond, not in that moment, not when I got home, not in the following days, never. We had had a great run and that's where I had left it.