Chapter 6

Paddock 11 was a large fortress-like structure with forty foot reinforced walls and an emormous gate at the front. It appeared as if the exterior was still under construction. The helicopter touched down roughly and everyone got out. The instructor, clutching his stomach, ran away and vomited into some bushes.

     "Is he okay?" Claire asked her boss. She yelled over to the instructor, "Are you okay?" Not getting a response.

     "Oh, he's just being dramatic," Masrani sounded dismissive. He watched construction workers welding things together. He looked at the building. "Are you still building?..." Claire nodded.

     "We planned to open in May, but Asset Containment insisted we build the walls up higher. It's bigger than expected." Masrani stood for a moment observing how huge the walls were. Seeing a man welding large iron bars while others carry other materials around.

     "It's a good sign." Claire led Masrani into the paddock's observation room, a large control room with computers and enormous windows overlooking the interior of the enclosure. The supervisor, Nick, stood at one of the touch screen thermal imaging consoles as they come in. Masrani took off his sunglasses.

     "We hit a few speedbumps early on. It began to anticipate where the food would come from." She gestured for Nick to leave and he exited, leaving the two of them alone. "One of the handlers nearly lost an arm. The others threatened to quit if I couldn't guarantee their safety." They go to the windows. At the moment, they couldn't see anything but dense jungle. While Claire tapped the computer screen.

     "She's intelligent, then?" He stared out of the glass.

     "For a dinosaur," she concluded.

     "And that?" He replied darkly as he pointed to one of the windows which has been cracked.

     "It tried to break the glass."

     "I like her spirit..." They heard a growl outside. Something enormous began to move through the trees at the far end of the enclosure. They saw the outline of a large theropod dinosaur with white skin moving through the trees, but the Indominus Rex didn't fully emerge. Masrani stared at her in awe. "Oh, it's white...You never told me it was white..." Claire came over and joined him.

     "Think it'll scare the kids?..." She sounded concerned.

     "The kids? This'll give the parents nightmares..." He said absently.

     "Is that...Good?" She was uncertain.

     "It's fantastic..." He was still in awe. Outside, the Indominus' yellow eye peered at the two humans through the foliage. "Can she see us?" He asked.

     "They say it can sense thermal radiation, like snakes."

     "Say, I thought there were two of them."

     "There was a sibling in case this one didn't survive infancy."

     "Where's the sibling?"

     "She ate it," she stated in a matter-of-fact. Masrani stared at her wide-eyed. She simply smiled nervously. He nodded and looked up at the ceiling. Outside, the Indominus Rex moved away through the jungle.

     "So the paddock is quite safe, then?"

     "We have the best structural engineers in the world." She nodded while going to the other computer and typing in some more while sliding her finger across it.

     "Yeah, so did Hammond." Claire didn't respond. "There's an American Navy man here. Part of a research program one of my companies is running. Owen Grady, and Marlo—I believe that's her name. His little sister, only sixteen. I've met her, haven't I?" Claire looked a little miffed.