Chapter 27

The hybrid slowly stalked over to the fallen queen, it placed its claws down on top of her, ready to kill it when a smaller sound could be heard distracting the killing machine. Everyone, aside from Marlo, looked over to the sound, Blue gained speed and jumped onto the hybrid giving the T-Rex enough time to get back up and chomp down onto its neck once more.

     The Raptor jumped from one giant to the next. Owen picked up Marlo again and ran, followed by the others, in through a shop before the window smashed open and the Raptor skidded in, Claire let out a gasp before it ran down again.

     They ran towards the pillars as the beasts continued to fight it out until the death, the hybrid was pushed into a building which crashed down in a fire and fell down before trying to get back up.

     Blue jumped onto its head distracting it as the T-Rex lashed out before she was thrown to the side and the hybrid was slammed back down to the ground towards the railings.

     Blue and the T-Rex roared at the hybrid as it stood up and returned the call until the Mosasaurus leaped out to the water and opened her jaws that tightened around the white dinosaur, it clamped down on its neck before dragging it down into the water.

     The lights under the water made it clear that the beast was being dragged down as the water stilled. A wailing could still be heard.

     Claire's eyes were dampened with tears as she clung to Gray who held onto the pillar, Zach was behind Owen watching Marlo in this arms. They looked towards the T-Rex as she turned to Blue, who stood back making a small sound, then back to the opposite direction and slowly walked off leaving them behind.

     Owen turned around and handed Marlo to Zach, who held her in his arms with a tightened grip on her, Owen then turned back and walked cautiously to his beta.

     Blue tilted her head at him, Owen shook his head just enough to be seen, but she turned away and ran off past the rubble and sparking lights and let off a call. The others followed as Owen walked forward to watch her go, Zach trailed behind with Marlo.

-

     Lowery stood with his hands on his hips. He breathed out, looking down to his desk. He picked up the Stegosaurus figure before he started to shut down the control room. The lights began to dim, leaving only a few panels on the back wall, with green and orange lights, on.

-

     Marlo was barely awake still, her eyes kept drooping shut and her body grew extremely weak. She managed to wrap her arms around his neck to help keep her up but even that hold was weak and pathetic. Zach looked down at her. "I made a promise I couldn't keep," he whispered to her softly, his eyes pricked with tears but he didn't let them fall.

     "Zachary..." She responded quietly, it made his heart tighten with pain to hear her voice like that. "This wasn't your fault." She looked up at him through small wisps of hair that came out of her plait. "It was mine." She sniffed quietly but Zach shook his head at her.

     "Not the promise I told you, a different one." Marlo let out a pained groan and tried tightening her hold on him. "One that I never told you." He looked down at her. "I made a promise that I wouldn't fall for you." He smiled weakly at her. "Because I knew it wouldn't last, I knew I wouldn't see you again, I knew you wouldn't feel the same."

     This was the first time she ever saw Zach look or sound this way, so pained and broken, and it was because of her.

     "Zachary, don't make promises you can't keep." She smiled weakly at him as she referenced herself from earlier that day and he let out a small laugh as some tears went down his face. "Firstly-" She started in the same tone she did by the T-Rex paddock. "You know nothing."

     Zach looked a bit confused. "What?"

     "You don't know that it won't last, anything is possible, just look around yourself, I mean, some mad throw down just happened and you didn't question it."

     Zach chuckled and rolled his eyes. 'Now wasn't the time for jokes.' He thought to himself.

     "Yet you question if something between us would last, everything lasts if you make it last. You don't know that this will be the last time we see each other." Zach didn't look assured. "I will always find you, I can promise you that. You can't get away that easily, I won't let you." She gave him a warm smile. "And you definitely don't know how I feel, only I do," her voice turned to a small whisper.

     "How do you feel?" He asked her, his voice wasn't steady and neither was his heartbeat. He didn't know how she would respond or if he would be ready to hear her answer. He noticed that her eyes began to close and her breathing began to slow down slightly, her arms loosened from around him, he panicked. "How do you feel about me?" He questioned again.

     "I-I..." She choked out weakly before her eyes closed.

     She felt empty, yet she felt full. Her life had been one of the best things especially when it was spent with her brother, whom she loved with all of her heart, even if she was closed off and hardly ever showed how she felt. Her whole life revolved around that one man, he was the reason she never gave up or gave in to those around her.

     He made her fight for her life. Owen Grady was her brother, her father figure, her best friend, and occasionally her teacher. He was the only positive thing she had left. She loved him for that, she always would.

     Claire. Her boss, her sister, her mother figure, her friend. She was thankful she got to work with such a strong willed person even though they had a tendency to butt heads and disagree, she was thankful. Claire wouldn't treat her like a child like everyone else but as an employee that she so clearly was. She helped her through situations much like Owen did, she became part of her life.

     Barry and Lowery became both protective brothers and wise uncles. She was grateful that she got to work beside them. Barry would let her help out with the Raptors and would teach her about them. Lowery would let her stay in the control room and give her pointers and tips. She trusted them with her life.

     Gray. Gray became one of her new favourite people. He was adorable, intelligent, sweet and funny. She cared for him like a sister would care for her brother. She was incredibly thankful that she got the opportunity to meet him and spend time with him. She learned a lot from him. She was proud of him.

     Zach...

     In the beginning, she wasn't sure what to make of him, she wasn't sure whether she could trust him or get along with him. He didn't seem like the type of person to actually care about others feelings but only himself and what he cared about. But that impression soon disappeared and was replaced. She saw that he really did care about his brother, he cared so much that he tried to reassure him even when he was terrified. She saw how he protected him, how he loved him, how she was wrong.

     Along the way she began to feel something towards him, even though she wasn't sure what it was, it was new to her. She wasn't sure if she liked it or not, but in the end decided that it was the best feeling in the world. She actually cared for him. She trusted him. She liked him. She wouldn't call it love. She didn't know much of love unless it was family love. But she definitely knew that there was something. Something she was willing to explore.

     But after the event that had unfolded, and the injuries she had sustained, she was beginning to doubt if she would ever see anyone again. Sounds began to fade away into silence, the warmth began to drain away into a cold void, and her eyes could no longer open to see the pale light as everything turned to back. Everything was gone.

     Survival isn't for everyone.