Chapter 23

Marlo had opened the window just a tiny bit, she looked at the tablet in Claire's hand in distraught. She moved away from the window letting Zach and Gray look. Gray stared at the screen and asked Claire quietly, "Is everybody dead?" Claire looked back at him immediately, not realising that they had seen. She quickly moved the tablet away.

"No, no, no." Gray opened the window more so Marlo could look in. "Everyone is fine." Claire tried to reassure them all.

"Don't lie to him," Zach spoke loudly, his voice rising in anger.

"He's scared. It's okay to lie when people are scared!" Claire yelled back at him.

"Claire, we've been lied to enough." Marlo pointed out in a sad voice.

"I wanna go home," Gray told her. Claire looked over with watery eyes, she moved her right hand into the back with them to hold the back of his head as all three of them looked at her worriedly.

"Sweetheart, you will, okay? I promise." She squeezed his shoulder, then rubbed the back of his head soothingly. "Tomorrow you will be home, and your mother will never let me see you again." She looked away.

A man slammed a bloody hand on the window, causing Claire to jump and look over to him. It was one of the men Hoskins had sent to keep guard of the Raptors and Island. Marlo jumped and held onto Zach's arm as she tried to look at him. Claire had screamed, Zach pulled Marlo away from the window while Gray closed it. "Get out of here! Go!" Claire fiddled with the keys and turned the engine on.

The three in the back looked around. Marlo screamed in shock when the man opened the back of the Jeep doors, she could see one of the Raptors running up behind him. "Close the doors!" Marlo yelled at him, she went to help him in and close the doors but Zach and Gray held her back.

"They're coming!" The man yelled just as the Raptor jumped on his back and wrapped her blood encrusted jaws around him. Gray and Marlo screamed out again as Zach held his arms in front of them protectively. Claire pressed her foot onto the gas pedal and the jeep started to move forwards, the force of the jeep starting threw the man and the Raptor out of the jeep and back onto the ground. The man still yelling as the Raptor tore into him, the three of them watched in horror.

"What the hell is happening? Why is she doing that?" Marlo whimpered, never having seen any of the Raptors act like that before, even when they were still newborns and learning to listen to Owen's orders.

Claire slapped the closed window as she continued to drive off. "Just hold on back there!" Claire turned back, breathing heavily, trying to keep her eyes on the dimly lit road that only her headlights were showing. The Raptor had jumped and thrown herself into the window next to Claire, sending shards of glass to splinter off and fall into the front on Claire's lap. Marlo froze at the sound and turned her head to look at the window. Claire screamed as the Raptor tried to turn her head to snap her jaws at Claire. She couldn't hold on and fell back out of the window onto the ground with a squawk, Claire looked behind out the window to look at her.

The back doors continued to flap about as the jeep drove down the road. Marlo watched as the two got back up and continued to run next to each other, towards the back of the jeep. Marlo had tears rolling down her cheeks, she brushed the hair back from her face and she shook. "This wasn't on the job description," she whimpered out again.

Zach and Gray turned to each other. Zach turned back to the doors and stood up slowly, letting Marlo slip into the chair as he got up. His eyes trained on the doors as he held on. Gray grabbed his shoulder, keeping him from falling, watching the two Raptors gain on the jeep, bumping into one another. Zach moved to one of the large silver canisters as Gray got up. He ripped it from the wall and laid it on its side. They threw it out to at the Raptors, it only nearly hit one.