Chapter 13

By the gyrospheres, Marlo stood next to Gray while Zach stood just a bit away from them. The line for the ride was long, Marlo was thankful that not only does she get employee fast tracks but the boys have VIP access to all of the rides. Allowing them to cut in line, skipping hours of waiting.

     "Did you know the soft tissue is preserved because the iron in the dinosaur's blood generates free radicals, and those are highly reactive. So, the proteins and the cell membranes get all mixed up, a-an-and-and-and act as a natural preservative. DNA can survive for millennia that way."

     Zach ignored what Gray has to say, staring at a girl in the line. He began to flirt with the girl who was further in the row, while Marlo listened to Gray intently. She finally had someone other than Lowery to gush over dinosaurs with.

     "So, now, even if the amber mines dry up, they'll still have bones..."

     "Shut up."

     Zach pointed to the girl he was staring at. Gray looked at them then back to Zach.

     "What do you think's gonna happen from you just staring at them?"

     The girls giggled and got onto the ride. Zach looked rather embarrassed, Marlo looked down to Gray.

     "Thanks, man."

     "You're welcome."

     The girls in the gyrosphere disappeared while Marlo nudged Gray's side and held a fist out to him, Gray grinned, checking that Zach wasn't looking and touched his own fist to hers. Marlo placed her arm over his shoulder. She looked over to the manager of the ride as he spoke in a monotonous voice.

     "Enjoy the ride."

     A new gyrosphere arrives. Gray got in with Marlo right behind, she held onto Gray's hand as he got in. Zach followed after them, Gray sitting on the same seat as Marlo, slightly squished together.

     The man on the P.A cracked on;

"Pregnant women and those who suffer from motion sickness should consult with a doctor before riding this ride."

     The woman on the P.A continued in another language. Gray and Zach put their belts on while Marlo just wrapped and arm around Gray. The door closed and the gyrosphere went forwards. While the manager of the ride continues, in the same dead tone of voice;

     "Enjoy the ride."

     The manager's phone started to ring, he answered it. "Hello?" He paused before his voice comes out shocked. "Seriously?" He looked towards the tourists. "Uh...Sorry, folks. The ride is closed." Everyone clamoured and complained. He got out a manual and recited. "Everyone needs to proceed to the monorail and exit towards the..." They all spoke over him. "Come on, guys, I just work here."

-

     Henry Wu entered from one of the back areas of the lab and secures the door with a code. The woman on the P.A cracked on;

"Due to technical difficulties, all our exhibits are now closed."

     The message was repeated in Portuguese. Dr. Wu saw Mr. Masrani looking at him from the tourist's hallway. Wu was drinking tea behind his desk. Masrani stood in front of him. Wu spoke up.

     "You know that I'm not at liberty to reveal the asset's genetic makeup. Modified animals are known to be unpredictable."

     "It's killed people, Henry."