Chapter 16

"We should probably get going," Marlo choked out painfully as she felt the sting from both her back and lungs as she gulped for air. "We don't know what that thing is, where it is, or what it can do." She pushed herself up to her knees and glanced to the side at Gray. "Oh, and uh...Good job, kid." She nodded to him and a smile broke out on his face again and he blushed as he looked up to Marlo.

     She stood up fully and glanced back at the cliff once more, Zach had stood up as well and walked passed Marlo, she felt something warm in her hand and looked down to see Gray holding it smiling weakly up at her.

     Marlo and Gray walked a little behind Zach, Marlo kept glancing around them nervously. Gray had let go of her hand and ran ahead of her, he stopped running and bent down to pick something off of the ground. Zach fell in line with Marlo. Both of them cautiously glancing around every once in a while.

     "You know, I bet I'm not getting paid extra for this." Marlo huffed, shoving her hands in her pockets.

     Zach snorted a laugh. "You're a dork." He shook his head with a smile.

     "That sounded like it was an insult, but if it was you're going to have to try harder. It was pretty weak."

     Zach shook his head with a smile again. "Wasn't an insult."

     "Why are you suddenly being nice to me?"

     "I'm always nice to you!"

     "Okay, sure." Marlo rolled her eyes.

     "I am!"

     "We've known each other for like, what? A couple of hours, give or take-"

     "Your point?"

     "Literally twenty minutes ago you were trying to give me the silent treatment because I fist bumped your little brother."

     "I have no response to that."

     "Of course you don't."

     "But other than that, I've been nice."

     "Barely."

     "Okay, now what does that mean?"

     "Nothing, nothing." Marlo held her hands out in surrender.

     "I'm nice to you."

     "Kinda clingy too."

     "Excuse me-"

     "You're excused."

     "You were the one to hold my arm for like ten minutes straight."

     "Out of fear of being some weird hybrids next meal while being thrown around in a human-sized hamster ball." Zach huffed, not having a response to that. "Besides, you grabbed my leg."

     "Zach!" Gray spoke up and Zach glanced back at Marlo with a light glare before jogging to catch up with his little brother.

     When Marlo caught up she saw what Gray had picked up, she bent down to the ground where he dropped it, it was a helmet with a hole in the top with blood and cracks surrounding it.

     "Shit," she muttered to herself and threw it on the floor, she looked up and managed to catch up with the two as they stopped by a vehicle. The jeep was empty, it has sparks flying off of it.

     "Stay here." Zach held his hand out in front of Gray, he held onto Zach's arm as they all walked closer to it. Zach looked around, breathing heavily as he rested his arms on the jeep. She felt someone hit her side and saw it was Zach, she looked at him confused but followed his glaze. It was a couple of steps leading up to a door surrounded by leaves and vines. It was completely hidden.