Chapter 20

The elevator doors opened to the control room. Hoskins was standing with his arms behind his back as a group of workers, each with a grey shirt and a I.D tag clipped to the collar of their shirts, stood behind him. He stepped into the control room, the men, with guns, took their lead and began to make their way into the room while the security guard put his hand up to stop Hoskins and his men from walking into the room.

     "Hey! You guys can't just be walking up in..." The security guard started. Lowery looked behind him at the suddenness of the guard's voice.

     "Simon Masrani's death was a tragedy." Hoskins walked down the stairs. Lowery turned around in his chair, jumping in shock as a man placed a black brief case down beside him on his desk. "The new mission is to prevent further loss of life," Hoskins explained.

     "Uh...Who are these guys?" Lowery inquired.

     "I'm glad you asked." Hoskins pointed at him as he chewed on something. "You're all relieved of duty," he informed everyone in the control room. They all stopped moving and turned towards Hoskins in shock and confusion. His men were still walking around, setting up their own equipment. "There's a new team on the ground."

-

     A helicopter with 'CR-1017' flew over the water on the way to the park. Four men sat in the back, the one with a thick beard heard a strange sound next to him, he looked over to see a Dimorphodon flying next to the helicopter. He aimed his gun and shot, the Dimorphodon squealed out as it dropped into the water. The man sat back, the other three men looked calmly over to him before looking back to their original spots. The helicopter neared its way to the island, flying passed a rock sticking out of the water and a small running waterfall.

-

     Owen, with his gun readied in his hand, lead the others through the park. Claire was on the phone, her left finger in her ear to hear better. "Lowery, I'm on my way back to you." Gray looked around at the park while Marlo and Zach tried keeping up. Zach's hand was around Marlo's wrist as she kept looking back, slowing herself down. She was still upset about not doing anything for Zara.

     Despite never getting along with Claire's assistant, Zara was still human. A deeply, deeply flawed human in Marlo's perspective, but she was still a life that she could have tried harder to save. At this point Marlo didn't really care if she got herself killed in the process, she would have died trying to save a life. That would have been all that mattered. But instead she's just left with a nagging feeling at the back of her mind telling her that she failed, that's she's no better than anyone else at the park.

     She hated to admit that, she really did. But what was the point in being a worker if she didn't put her life second to those who weren't trained to look out for themselves? Zara wasn't trained to look after or know the dinosaurs like Marlo was, Marlo knew that, and yet a small part of her couldn't help but be angry at Zara. She wasn't exactly sure why she felt angry. Hell, that was a lie. She did know. She hated the fact that a woman worked at a place that she couldn't stand. If Zara hated the island so much then she should have transferred to another job.

     Marlo kept looking back. In some ways hoping to see that Zara was on the phone trying to keep up with them, a scowl on her face and her arms struggling to hold her bag while her heels clicked along the concrete. But she knew that wasn't going to happen, and yet she still looked back. She knew that Zara was gone. She watched it happen. She watched as Zara was thrown about like a rag doll between Pteranodon's and then swallowed whole by the Mosasaurus.

     "Marlo, please," Zach begged quietly as he tugged on her wrist.

     "I should have done something." She shook her head, quickening her steps to fall in line with Zach as they walked briskly behind the other three. "Even if I died doing it."