Chapter 37

Sunday 29 January

7:30 a.m.

So here it is, the day in which I could qualify for the World Championships in the USA and get that all-important plane ticket home. Excuse me while I go: arrrrrggggghhhhhhhh

8:00 a.m.

Why is it these days every time I put on all my kit and look in the mirror, I think I look like a chump? It’s the same dress, the same make-up, the same glitter that it’s always been. But hen I look in the mirror I don’t look the same. What’s changed, will somebody please tell me?

I keep thinking about that day Murphy and me went up into the mountains, only every time I remember I don’t see me on the back of the bike I see Eavanne. I wish I could stop thinking about it. It makes my stomach feel like scrambled eggs, all mixed up in a pan.

It’s probably just nerves from the competition.

10:10 a.m.

Rory’s been practising his break moves. He’s got it going on. Oh I wish I wasn’t dressed like this, I wish I was going to some dance competition where I could really dance the way I want to. I wish, I wish, I wish.

I keep thinking about those dancers, those men in the pub in the mountains. Being in among them, dancing around and trying to copy their steps. When they were my age did they ever try to please everyone by doing the proper steps to the proper music to please some judges? Did they wear costumes and try to get top marks or did they just grab the nearest thing to them, get some instruments together and just dance? What I mean is, they who invented it all, did they do all that so some school girl could wear an inch thick of glitter and prance around in front of some tired old judges? Something’s wrong with this picture.

I’ve got my moves, my routine couldn’t be more practised. All the family are together and are coming to watch me dance. And as if that wasn’t good enough, Granny Nora has made Dad a partner in the plumbing business. Things just couldn’t be better for everyone. I can’t mess with this right now – I have to do this right and show that I can do this.

Why, then, when finally everything’s going so well, doI feel so sick? You’d think I was being driven to have my tonsils out rather than to dance my way into the World Championships. Well, no time to think about the whys and wherefores now. Gotta get into the car and wow everyone. Wish me luck. Boston, Here I Come.

...........

Click the Thumbnail Below or Click Info on Mobile to Watch the Webisode.