Chapter 7 - I'm fine...

I saw Ray's expression change when I said Jake knew where I was. We all stood there staring at the glass door. I saw car lights pull up. “Lindsay, Michael, Danielle go to my desk and stay there. Now.” Ray said force fully. “No Ray... I'm staying here with you.” I say. “Danielle NO! I promised to protect you and that's what I'm doing.” He stared at me straight in the eye. “I said I would protect you to. I'll hide. I promise I will.” I say. I quickly hide behind 2 chairs that were close by. I peaked out the side of the chair and I see Jake walk in but Andrew was still in the car. I am sweating bullets right now. What will happen to Ray. I can see the door where Ray's desk is open a little. I see all these head turn to see what's happening. “Where the fuck is she? Where's Danielle? If you don't tell me where she is I will shoot every one in this building!” says Jake yelling. The door next to Ray swung open.

Jake stormed in that room and pulled out a gun and aimed it at every one. “WHERE IS SHE!?!?!? WHERE IS DANIELLE!?!?” His yelling echoed through the building. I stood up “I'm here...” I say quietly. Jake quickly turned around and pointed the gun at Ray. “Move over. She's coming with me.”. Ray held me behind him. “No. You aren't touching her.” says Ray. Jake walked up hit Ray in the face with his gun. Ray fell to the floor and groaning in pain. “Don't touch her...” He spits out. Jake looked at Ray and then looked at me. I saw the anger and rage in his eyes. He took his gun and punched me in the face. The next thing I knew I was on the ground next to Ray. Every thing was blurry and I had a ringing in my ears. I knew I couldn't give up. Jake was turned around. I stood up and looked at the back of Jake's head. I did a judo move that my friend taught me. He tripped and fell to floor. I took off my sweater and it was a thin sweater so it was easily tie able. I tied it really tight and he couldn't break free and tied what I could to the door. I was very light headed.

I was wobbly. I turn around and see Ray get up and sprint to me. I went on my knees, trying to catch my breath because I was winded a bit. Ray lifted up my head, I lost balance and fell forward, but Ray caught me at the last second. Ray had his arms around and I saw every one crowd around us and gasp. “Some one call 911!” yelled Lindsay. I put my hand to Ray's face and stroke his cheek. I saw blood come from his fore head. My hand still on his cheek and I smile and pull him closer to me. I kiss him on the cheek and say “Thank you...” and then I blacked out. I was cutting in and out. I saw red and blue lights show up. I was put on a stretcher and I saw Ray arguing the paramedics to let him come with me in the ambulance. After that I stayed passed out. All I thought about was Ray...

I wake up, but I'm not at Ray's apartment. I'm in a hospital bed and for some reason I could see clearly. I look to my left and see a window and on the window sill was a vase and some blue and purple roses. I look to my right and see Ray sleeping with his on the bed. I move my arm. It felt so heavy, but I manage to put my hand on his. Our hands were intertwined. I saw Ray wake up and sit up from the chair and look at me. I smile. “Danielle! Your awake! Oh my god I thought I lost you!” Ray was so excited to see me. “I'm going to get the nurse. OK? I promise I will be right back.” He left the room and he came back with the nurse. The nurse said “Hey darlin' how are you feelin'?” she an accent. I told her about how my arm felt heavy and she said that it was normal and that I shouldn't worry too much.

I was relieved that nothing was serious and that I was healthy. The nurse told me I had visitors and that she was letting them in. “Danielle...I'm so sorry...I promised to protect you, but I didn't...please forgive me...” It's sounded like he was about to cry. I sit up and I grip Ray's hand. “It's okay Ray. Don't apologize. We didn't know Jake had a gun. I'm sorry for having you get stitches on your fore head.” I say. I hear the door open. I see Barbara, Gavin, Lindsay, and Gus walk in. “Danielle!!!” said Barbara. I smile. “Hey guys. What's up?” I say. “How are you feeling Danielle? Jake hit you pretty.” says Gavin. “I'm fine, I'm a bit thirsty though.” I say.

“I'll get you some water.” says Ray. He got up and left my side. “Danielle. You wouldn't believe it. Ray stayed here for a week waiting for you to wake up. They told him to leave but he refused to go.” said Gavin. “He must have strong feelings for you because he never acted this way for any one before” said Gus. “That guy who hit you and Ray is a psycho. I'm not kidding he is the mental ward right now.” says Lindsay. “Hey Gus you know that story Ray and I weren't going to tell you...” “Yea...” I sighed and said “Well the night Ray and I went to his place to get the rest of my games...Jake was drunk and stopped me from leaving and Ray was just out side the door waiting for me. And when I was about to leave my old room with my of games he wouldn't let me leave and he grabbed my wrist and started dragging me some where... Then he punched me in the face...twice. That's why Ray was sleeping next to me. I was too scared to sleep alone. I had a black eye and Gavin was there with Barbara. So they saw me when I woke up.” I say looking at my hands on my lap. “That's why Gavin asked you about your eye...” said Gus. I nodded.

I saw Ray come in through the door with a bottle of water. I could see him smiling as he held his hand behind his back. “Here Danielle.” He handed me the bottle. “I have another surprise for you...” He took his hand out from behind his back. It was a red rose and a black velvet box. He handed it to me. I smelt the rose, I love the smell of roses. “What's in the box Ray?” asks Gavin. “A little something for Danielle.” I blush as I stroke the little red bow on the top of the box. I open the box. And I just gasped. “What's in the box Danielle?” asks Lindsay and Barbara at the same time. “Ray...It's beautiful. Help me put it on?” he nodded as he picked up the bronze necklace with a key pendant. He clipped the chain together behind my neck. I looked at my friends who are at the foot of my bed and I look at Ray who is next to me. I bring Ray close to me and give him a hug. “Thank you so much Ray. You're such a good friend.” I say. I feel like a bitch now. I just friend zoned him. “You're welcome Danielle. You're my best friend.” Then nurse comes in and says “Hey sweetie pie you might be able to go home tonight if you feel well enough.” I felt more then well right now. “Can't wait to go home Ray. I'll still make us dinner.” I say with a smile. “Oh no, no ,no. I cook for you.” he argues. “Fine we'll cook together.” I say.

“Ray. You should go home. They told me you've been here for a week. You probably want a shower or some thing. I'm fine...I promise” I say with my hand on his shoulder. “I want to st-” “Go home, now!” I say cutting him off and pointing my finger at him. He nods and then giggles. He gets up and leaves the room waving good bye. I wave back and I smile. “So a friend huh?” says Lindsay. “Yep a 'friend'” says Barbara. I blush. “Did you do I think you did?” asks Gavin. “Yea...I friend zoned him. I feel like an ass now.” I say. Gavin shakes his head. “I'm tired guys.” I say yawning. “Alright we'll leave you we'll see you at work tomorrow?” asks Gus. “Work?” I say confused. “Yea, Your working with Ray now.” says Gus. My jaw dropped. “Really thanks!” I had the biggest smile on my face. The trio of Barbara, Lindsay and Gus left me waving good bye and I drifted off into sleep.