Changing Hair?!

Important recap: Your name is Mi Thomason.

You were 14 when you found your peculiarity. You had been at school when you saw a 16 year old bully picking on an eight year old boy. Your hands clenched into fists and you grit your teeth.

"Mi! When did you dye your hair?! How could you not tell me???" Asked your (old) best friend, Taylor.

"Huh?"

You looked at a strand of your hair. Instead of its usual black, it was a fiery red. How did that happen?

"Well? I'm waiting!" Yelled Taylor, exasperated. "When were you going to tell me you changed your style?"

You decided to play cool, while on the inside you freaked out.

"Yeah um. I dyed it last night. I couldn't, uh, sleep. Yeah. I couldn't sleep and thought what should I do? Dye my hair. What do you think?"

Taylor gasped. "It's purple now! What?!"

"It's a new dye my aunt created. Remember how I told you she was a scientist? She made one that reflects the different amounts of light. "

Taylor didn't exactly believe you, but said," oh ok."

You went home and ran to the bathroom. Your hair was pink now. What the heck? You watched your hair change from pink to yellow. Oh no. What will mom think? Will she be ok with this? Will she freak out?

She freaked out. Over the next 2 years, your mom called many doctors, but couldn't find anyone who could cure your "quite colorful mane". Eventually mom took you to a hospital and left you there. She said goodbye and never came back. Later, the hospital kicked you out and while you were roaming the streets of New York, you found a bird.

"Hello there," you said. "I'm Mi. Yes, that's really my name, Mi. Who are you? Of course you can't talk. That would be absurd. But then again, my hair changes color so I can't talk. You're a peregrine falcon aren't you? Is it nice to be a bird? Not have any worries. No drama. Nope. Just making sure you eat. Isn't that just a peachy life?"

The peregrine falcon screeched softly before doing something you never thought you would see. It changed into a woman!

The woman was dressed in black, from her headpiece to her feet. "Miss Mi Thomason, I presume?" She spoke with a British accent.

You were speechless. "Uh uh uh."

"Don't worry. Yes, I was the bird. I'm not here to hurt you. I'm just offering you a place to live. You see, I run an orphanage or children who can do peculiar things. Like you."

"Oh?"

This was blowing your mind. A woman is a bird? Offering me a place to live.

"I am different," you said. "But I'm not crazy, if that's what you are trying to say. "

The woman looked horrified for a moment before turning peaceful again. "No no no. I'm not saying you're crazy. I'm just saying you have a special ability. You saw me turn from a bird to a human. Is that not proof enough?"