Punishments

Important Recap: They made it back safely. Horace had left a note so that Miss P knew they would come back. And they are in trouble now.

Mi POV
It was the next morning and Miss P told us to wait outside her study then she would tell us our punishment.

"I wonder what our punishment will be," said Horace.

"Ugh. Well, she'll go easier on you," said Enoch. "You left her a note, but the rest of us are as good as dead,"

"I second that," I said.

Emma and Abe looked at each other and asked, "Where's Millard?"

"Mill?" I said. "You in here?"

Miss P came out of the study and crossed her arms.

"Emma and Enoch, you'll be pulling the weeds from the garden," she said. They sighed in relief because this wasn't too bad. "You'll be pulling them without Miss Fraunfeld's help,"

"What?! NOoooooo!" Cried Enoch.

"Horace and Mi,  you'll help me with cooking for the rest of the week,"
"But Headmistress, what if my suit gets dirty?"
I snickered.
"That wasn't on your mind when you left the loop, was it?"
Ooh... Burn.

"Abe and Millard, you'll be cleaning up the house- wait. Where's Mr. Nullings?"

We shrugged.

"Mr. Nullings!" Miss P called.

"I'm right here!" Said Millard. He had been here the whole time?

"Oh! There you are! Well, you all know what to do. Get on with it. Mr. Sumnusson and Miss Thomason, if you'll come with me," Miss P said. "Cooking takes all day you know,"

Emma POV
Pulling weeds? Ugh. Me and Enoch went out to the garden where Fiona was tending to her plants.

"Hey, Fiona!"

She looked at me and shook her head in disappointment. All the kids heard about our little adventure. Fiona disapproved. She motioned to start pulling the weeds, then crossed her arms and sat down in a small flower bed.

Enoch and I looked at each other and said," So you're not gonna help us?"

Fiona shook her head and pointed to the weeds.

Abe POV

Millard and I silently cleaned the living room.

"Are you really leaving us, Abe?" Millard asked.

"Yes... I know that it's now or never. If I stay too long, I'll never be able to leave."

"What about Emma?"

"She could come with me. All of you could," I said.

"I'd never be accepted though. I'll never really be there, would I? I would just be like a ghost. I always wondered what would've happened to me if Miss P hadn't found me,"

I stayed silent.

"Would I fade out of existence? If I left the loop with you and everything, and then you found it wonderful with your new life, would you still remember that I'm there? Normals would freak out about floating clothes. I'd have to go out naked, then eventually I'll be forgotten," his voice broke.

"Mill-"

"That's why I can't go with you," he said. "I think you still have a chance convincing Emma though. It's different for all of us,"

Mi POV

I could hear Abe and Millard's conversation from the kitchen. Me and Horace worked silently so that both of us could hear. My heart broke as I listened to Millard talk about why he couldn't leave. I could tell Horace felt the same.

"I had a dream about him leaving," Horace said.

"I know, you had a dream of Victor leaving the loop... we seriously just went through that," I said.

"No, it wasn't like that," Horace lowered his voice. "My dream about Victor hasn't come true yet,"

"What?"

"I didn't know Victor was going to leave the loop that night. I only knew we would come back safely because I had a dream he would leave again after Abe."

I stared at him. "Abe really does leave then?"

"Yes,"

"Emma?"

"No. He leaves her,"

I looked out to Emma looking annoyed while talking to Enoch (who couldn't care less).

"Poor Emma,"

Horace nodded. "His decision doesn't... sit well with her,"

We stared through the window for awhile.

"Miss Thomason! Mr. Sumnusson, what are you doing? Get going through the dishes. Unless you'd rather pull out the weeds with Miss Bloom and Mr. O'Connor," Miss P chided us.