Chapter 4

Thomas was not fine. Alexander sat with James throughout the night. James was asleep by the next morning when a doctor came and told Alex that Thomas had lung cancer. Alexander started crying. Why though. He hated Thomas didn't he. It didn't matter to him what happened to Thomas did it. The doctor sat down beside Alex, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Your friend will be alright." they said. Alex nodded. "Thank you."he muttered, barely loud enough for them to hear. The doctor left just as James woke up. He sat up in the uncomfortable hospital chair and looked at Alex. He too started to cry. He knew. He didn't want to believe it but he knew. James hugged Alexander. "Thomas he...he has cancer... The doctor said that he'll be fine...." Alex whispered, hesitantly. James simply nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~

'Thomas... I love you so much...' her hand was limp in mine. My little sister. Dead in my arms. I could've saved her. Anne. Please. Please come back.

Thomas awoke, opening his eyes. The white hospital room was almost blinding. Thomas closed his eyes again. He heard muffled talking from the other side of the door. All he can remember from last night was being taken to the hospital by Alexander. Alexander... Why would he do that for Thomas... The door opened, creaking on the old hinges holding it in place. Thomas opened his eyes slightly just enough to make out who was there. James and Alexander stood in the doorway. Thomas forced himself to sit up, coughing harshly in the process. The pain in his chest was back. It was worse now. James walked to his friend, hugging him hesitantly. Alex stayed in the doorway, leaving on the paint chipped frame, crossing his arms. Alex looked around the room. Old chairs like the ones in the waiting room, three to be exact, were set underneath a large window. White curtains hung over the window, neither were quite long enough to cover the whole window so white light from outside flooded the room. There was a wooden desk beside the bed with a glass vase with a single, withering rose in it. There were heartrate machines and other things that Alex was just too familiar with to look at on the opposite side of the bed. The walls were painted beige, paint chipping off in multiple spots. Alex sighed. What a dull place. Thomas whispered something to James and he reluctantly left. As soon as James was gone Thomas spoke up. "Ale- Hamilton. Why did you bring me here..." Alex looked up at him. "You were coughing up blood Thomas. You told me to bring you here. Do you not remember anything from last night?" Alex said, slightly irritated. Thomas shook his head. "You have lung cancer Thomas..." Alex said. Thomas' eyes widened, flooding with tears. He covered his face. Alexander was not going to see him cry. Thomas felt someone wrap their arms around him. It was Alex. "You're going to be fine Thomas." He whispered. He kissed Thomas' forehead quickly and left.

~~~~~~~~~~

After 6 long months of surgery and chemotherapy Thomas returned to campus. Alexander hadn't visited him since he was diagnosed. It was alright though. James visited him daily, telling him about things that were going on and just talking for hours on end. Thomas walked with the hood of his sweater on, keeping his head down. He had lost his hair during chemotherapy and was now insanely self conscious about it. He walked down the halls to the dorm room. He opened the door only to see Alex pacing back and forth across their room. "Look who didn't lock the door this time." Thomas said, smiling weakly. "Thomas!" Alex said, running over and hugging Thomas. Alex froze as Thomas returned the hug. "I'm glad you're ok." Alex finally said, moving away from Thomas and sitting back down at his desk. Thomas closed and locked the door. He hesitantly took off the hoodie and laid down in his bed. Alex was awake, typing for hours into the night. James had come to see Thomas and left. Alex was dead silent the whole time.

At around 2 in the morning Alexander closed his laptop. Thomas was still awake. He couldn't sleep because of stress. Alex got up and crawled into bed beside Thomas without even thinking about it. Alex wrapped his arms around Thomas' waist. "Alexander." Thomas whispered. "What are you doing?" Alex let go immediately. "I'm sorry. I can go." He stuttered, sitting up. Thomas put a hand on Alex's shoulder. "Please. Please stay." He said. Alex laid back down. "I never realized how much-" he stopped himself. No. Alex didn't love Thomas. Thomas didn't love him either. He shook his head. "Never mind." he mumbled. Burying his face into the covers. Neither of them slept, though they did both stay in bed throughout the night. Thomas kept his arms wrapped around the smaller man as they laid in silence. It was perfect...