CHAPTER 2. Paul

I hate thunder. It's loud and unnecessary. All it does is scare people, and keep my son from his sleep.

"Hey baby, shhh. You're okay, shh. You're okay sweetie" I rocked my restless baby as the thunder boomed outside the window. I brushed the hair from my face and continued to soothe my son. It was the middle of the day and he got absolutely no sleep last night. He has come down with a small fever and he was only just shutting his eyes and slightly calming when the thunder decided to go off.

Emily popped her head in my room and silently handed me the warmed up bottle. Mason went quiet as the bottle entered his mouth. His eyes closed and he would be off within a few minutes. I put him down in his crib and pulled up the blanket taking the baby monitor with me.

"Did he go down alright Liv?" I sat opposite Sam and Emily. I turned the monitor around so Sam could see his sleeping nephew.

"Yeah, finally. He should sleep for a few hours hopefully" I took an apple from the table and took a big bite.

"Maybe you can use this time to do some of that catch up work that your teachers gave you" I groaned loudly and laid my head on the table.

"This is the first time I've had two seconds to myself all week and the first thing you do is bring up homework?" Because I had a baby, I missed a bit of school work. Paul always made sure to bring me homework but I couldn't always get it done. Raising a little life is hard no matter how much help you have.

"It needs to be done Olivia"

"And I will get it done. Later. Just let me enjoy my peace and quiet for a little bit longer" Sam sighed and pinched his nose, closing his eyes. I know he means the best but sometimes I like to just sit and relax for a few minutes, these moments are very rare.

"Olivia"

"Samuel" I mimicked his deep brotherly tone.

"If you don't graduate you won't be able to find a good job and support your family. You want the best life for Mason don't you?" Of course I do. That's not even a serious question. He just likes to make me feel guilty. "We can't live off of mum and dads money forever"

After our mother passed away she left us with an inheritance, and our father sends us money every fortnight to 'make up for lost time'. But Sam was right, we couldn't live off of their money forever. Emily's mum helps us out too and Emily had started working at the local grocery store, a couple of days a week, but we would all need to start pitching in, especially with the amount of food we go through.

"Sam, I just want a few minutes, and then I'll do it. And I'll study harder than I've ever studied before, promise"

"Fine, a few minutes"

"Few minutes? I knew that's how long you lasted Sammy" Sam growled, while Emily and I laughed. We all knew that overly cocky voice.

"Well from what Kim tells me, you're no better Jared" I smirked defending my brother, even though we were talking about his sex life, which I do not need to know about.

"Bullshit" Jared stopped in his tracks and glared at me, which soon turned into a smirk "Should we start talking about you and Paul?"

"No!" It was both Sam and I who shouted. We definitely don't need to be talking about that. It's all in the past, where it belongs.

"Where is Paul?" Sam was in Alpha mode. Apparently there were two more boys ready to phase into the pack. Quil Ateara and Jacob Black, they were good kids, I've seen them around at the bonfires and at school before I had Mason and became a hermit.

"He's watching Call" Jared answered like a good little follower.

"Good. He is a lot better with his phasing but I don't trust him yet" Apparently I wasn't as up to date as I thought I was.