Chapter 8

"For a second I thought you ditched us, Lily."

I shrug impassively when I hear Kiora's prideful comment. "How could I?" I say blankly. "I was the first to volunteer anyways."

 I look up from the ground I was staring at with a passion only to see Larcelle, Kiora, and Suada standing in front of the gate of the ghostly house, each of them dressed in their own warm clothing with flashlights held tight in their grasps. 

I was quick to notice the look of exhilaration flaring in Kiora's eyes, a wide smile plastered on her face that if widened would make her look like a mad man,

 I could even tell how antsy she was from the small jumps she was emitting and the way she was tightly clutching her flashlight. Though unlike her Suada and Larcelle looked anything but excited. 

Larcelle who appeared pale in the face didn't hesitate to hurry over to my side, her hand grabbing my arm in a heartbeat that I assume was instinctual.

 Suada doesn't even bother to move, and I doubt it was out of choice. 

She looked like too much of a statue that I could've mistaken her as one, her shoulders falling as though this dare was too much of a burden for her to even carry.

 Like with Larcelle, I'm tempted to give her hand a tight squeeze of reassurance but the idea of Kiora mocking us after I do push the idea away.

"I told my parents I went to the library to study." Suada mumbles. "For their sake, that better not have been the last time they see me."

Kiora rolls her eyes. "Don't over exaggerate this Suada, I'm pretty they'll see you again." She assures.

"My God Kiora! I swear that's the same phrase that is always said in those cheesy horror movies!" Larcelle remarks,

 "And again out of all of us you should know how these types of situations end especially with a bunch of friends thinking that wandering a home that's rumored to be deadly would be fun!"

Kiora scoffs "And again those movies are fiction, there's a difference between that and reality."

"Actually There's The Possession and it's based on a true story." I butt in, my voice quiet, nonetheless, I was heard. 

She aims me an annoyed look, almost as though to challenge me with her eyes for me to contradict her again.

"Guys can we please . . . just go and get this over with" Suada murmurs, her hands covered with fuzzy gloves gripping her flashlight even harder. 

I didn't even have to look to know that Larcelle was shaking her head rapidly in denial, and if Kiora noticed she didn't bother to show it.

Her peeved expression was overlapped with a giant smile of excitement.

Me on the other hand. . . .

I questioned if what I've done was wise.

Without a yes answer, Kiora heads over to the gate and carefully swings it open, a lullaby of creaking sounds emitting from the gates hinges. 

My grip on Larcelle's hand tightens when we both pass the black demented gate after Suada, my eyes instantly wandering the area that placed fear on my intuition about this place.

The yard's grass painted brown was wilted and dead like some of the flowers that dared to even grow here, numbers of weeds and large patches of dirt marking the ground. 

Nearby stood a broken swingset that swung as though an invisible child was swinging on it. I was quick to avert my eyes when I see it only to have them land on the creepy home.