Chapter 12

Just when I thought I couldn't feel any more hollow,
I'm proven wrong ever since Fia left me in the locker room, with only my thoughts and my burdens that've been relishing in weighing me down like a pack of lead.

The burden must have been enough to strip away my strength because a moment later I ended up crumpling to the floor,
my hand stuck against my face as I tried to even out my breathing before I eventually forced myself to get out and head back to class,

I had no interest in seeming like a weak-minded child who would break just because of a small shove on the shoulder,
or at least that's what my peers would have thought,                

blind to the truth.

I was directed a bitter look from Coach Verna, probably because I ditched her class, but the fear I had over that expression or the consequences that she'll end up chucking at me for my actions was too little.

I've had bigger things to deal with, therefore I found her to be the least of my problems. My apathy shun through my face that I easily molded to look blank and empty.

I made sure to ignore the stares, primarily Fia's and Xavier's, as well as Alex who nailed his eyes on me in a way that almost made me self-conscience.

The rest of the day was harder than most to get through almost as if I was trudging through a desert choked up in heat too unbearable for my lungs to even function.

The sound of the bell ringing to signify the end of last period was my water, while leaving the institution was my oxygen.

I was forced to go home alone, since Larcelle and Suada had to stay after for test completion while Kiora was forced to have her brother drive her home.

I felt naked walking without them, but at the moment I guess I didn't mind as much as I thought, besides I could only imagine the questions.

Something I swear I've had enough of.

           I wrap my coat tightly against myself every time I was struck with the bitter Autumn chill, a bit grateful for my long hair since it could easily cover my exposed nape and the sides of my neck.

Hints of darkness broke the sky, signifying that night was upon all of us.

A time of day I found both alluring and tormenting.

I prefer to stay out of the details.
I dangerously drown myself in my thoughts as I stroll down the tan sidewalks, blocking out the thunderous noise of racing cars, that sped past me like blinding streaks.

Because of what happened before, I stayed cautious of any hallucinations that would try and tug me into the street and cause me to become susceptible to a zooming semi-truck like before.

Just the remembrance, was enough to spark tension in my muscles, in which didn't bother leaving me until I was clear of any traffic or moving vehicles.

Something I didn't receive till I was divulged to the familiar surroundings of my neighborhood.

I steer clear of any other pedestrians to avoid eye contact or to those who looked like they'd form any conversation.

The further I walked, more darkness swept over the sky, as well as the drop in temperature.

I rub my hands incessantly, cursing to myself that I should've gotten thicker gloves, yet my thoughts are instantly drawn away when the pocket of my coat began to shake.

I release a chilly breath as I reach in, only to take out my phone that was vibrating.

I had to decipher whether or not I should panic or worry when I see Aunt El's number ringing on my phone.