Chapter 10

I didn't tell Aunt El.

I couldn't.

I'm already enough of fool, why bother making even bigger mistakes.

I spoke nothing of my dream and especially about going into the haunted house.

No, telling her about the haunted house is beyond not an option. I could only imagine her reaction if I did.

When I got downstairs the next morning, my trauma from the dream I'd had with the Woman in Black must have really written a mark on my face even more than the night before because the minute I entered the kitchen Aunt El's smile of warmth vanished as if a razor swept down on her face, replacing it with a worried look much worse then I'd ever seen.

Next thing I know I'm bombarded with the same numerous questions that she'd ask me every morning only her voice was intoxicated with more alarm then normal, her arms wrapped around me, and her eyes studying my face especially the bags that laid under my eyes.

It's an everyday routine.

One that I always have to complete by shrugging her off and assuring her with lies that there's nothing to be worried about, that I'm okay.

'Okay.' Even that word seems foreign to me.

No matter how many times I say it, no matter how many times I lie to her, especially myself, the phrases of assurance seems dry on my tongue, and bitter to my mouth, up to the point where I almost lose energy just from repeating them over and over.

I held no appetite at the moment since words were already intoxicating my tongue enough.

But my Aunt didn't let me go that easily.

Consequently I ended up forcing down a slice of toast that sat like a rock inside my stomach as I exited the house, my head aching from a small headache that seemed to be pulsing inside my head the moment I thought I saw a glimpse of The Woman in Black gazing at me with her eyes that were veiled by her black hair.

"I can't believe that house was fake." Kiora growled as my friends and I strolled out of the Girl's locker room and headed for the gym.

Suada blinks at Kiora in surprise "So you WANTED it to be real?" She questions.

Kiora rolls her eyes "Of course I did."

Larcelle scoffs "Well I'm not sure you got this into your head yet Kiora but if it were to be real then I'm pretty sure that we'd all be dead, as in nonexistent, worst yet my corpse would probably be found when my flesh is rotted and of course I'd be humiliated because I'd also have multiple cobwebs in my hair."

I give Larcelle a strange look, a bit peeved that, that's the first thing she'd complain about if Kiora's adventure were to go the way she wanted it to.

"I'm pretty sure there worse things than that Elle." I breathe.

"Ah, ah, ah. No way are you speaking Lily!" Suada jumps in. "Since you were the first one to spread the virus of wanting to accompany Kiora."

I shrug "You didn't have to come you know." I say, my voice empty.

Larcelle snorts "Uh, yes we did, because if we didn't then we'd look like bad and unloyal friends if we were to leave you two venture off blindly into that Godforsaken place or worse we would have been the first suspected to know about your journey if you were to have been killed in that home and the incident turned into a case." She remarks, her voice stern.

Now it's my turn to roll my eyes, a part of me trying  to ignore the brief pain that sparked through my head from my headache that had not yet bothered to cease.
"Thank you Larcelle." Suada cuts in, her head nodding in pleasure.