Chapter 3

"Five, six, seven, eight!"

Every count that Miss Lacey shouted, I followed the steps.

Each number meant a move change whilst holding onto the barre against the mirrored wall.

Ballet was my getaway. Nothing could make me feel more free and careless.

The others that I danced with also followed, their slim bodies copying the movements we were made to remember from our last lesson.

"And break!"

As soon as those words were spoke spoken, all the girls, and two boys, all stopped the routine and began chatting to each other.

Me on the other hand, slid down the mirror to catch my breath. We had been practicing hard for nearly half an hour and there was still and hour of the lesson to go.

With my head between my legs, I breathed deeply. Ballet was challenging. Everyone knew that. But Miss Lacey was a tough teacher to please so everyone worked twice as hard.

The door to the studio opened and the majority of the chatter silenced.

"Ah, welcome." I heard Miss Lacey greet but I kept my head between my legs.

"Everyone, this is Leonidas Taylor. He's new to town and moved Ballet schools so he'll be with us now."

Everyone said a quick hello and I finally looked up.

Nothing prepared me for what I was about to see.

Leo was standing there. In leggings. And a tight, long sleeved sport top.

I couldn't help it, I laughed.

All eyes snapped to me and silence fell in the room.

It's funny because Leo's expression matches my first one. He was not expecting me to be here.

"Right, Richard, go to the other side of the room and show Leo the steps he needs to learn." Miss Lacey instructed and Richard, who was just adorable in my eyes, led Leo over to the opposite side of the room.

And so, for the rest of the session, both Leo and I were catching glances at each other. Mine were amused and his were worry.

I'm guessing that he doesn't want anyone to know. I mean, from what I've heard about him from gossip in school, he's a hardcore kid.

And why he's doing ballet I have no idea.

He was good though. Like, insanely good.

When I was watching him when he was doing the steps, which he managed to pick up almost instantly, he moved with such grace it was amazing to witness.

For someone like him, who is fairly well built and quite tall, he was excellent at ballet. I was almost jealous.

When it came to the end of the lesson, everyone was panting from exhaustion and sitting on the floor.

Miss Lacey came over to us with a clip board in hand.

"Right everyone, because of the upcoming audition, you need to be paired up since you'll be doing the piece together. If you are chosen, you will also be doing the performance together." She declared and a bustle of whispers came from beside me from the girls.

They all had usual partners that they danced with so they'll probably choose them.

"You can choose your own partners but make sure you'll be able to work with them long-term." She added. I knew why she said this as when we had the opportunity to audition for a show last time, two dancers called Abigail and Justin partnered up, thinking they were the perfect couple.