Chapter 33

Black jeans, black hoodie. My attire matched my mood perfectly. I'd barely slept too, so the dark grey bags under my eyes only exaggerated my shitty mood.

Harvey looked worried when we drove to school. My head resting on the window the whole journey and I didn't say anything.

He even had music playing but I didn't speak a word. Mostly because I just didn't know what to say.

He knew I felt like shit and he probably didn't want to bring it up anymore than I did.

As we pulled into the parking lot, Harvey waited a moment before getting out the car.

"Come sit with us at lunch, you don't have to talk or do anything, I just want to make sure you're ok."

Again, I just didn't know what to say. I didn't even want to come into school today but I knew that would make Harvey worry more than he already was.

I nodded my head to him, grabbing my bag from the back seat and hopping out the car.

Making my way into the building, I just wanted to be invisible like I was before.

Before Leo came to the school and turned shit upside down.

Most students didn't acknowledge me like they normally did, but I did notice Kirsty Owens watching me like a hawk.

As soon as I made it to the end of the corridor, she pulled her phone out her pocket and held it to her ear.

God, why did I feel like something bad was going to happen?

I rounded the corner and made my way to my locker but halted when I saw two people standing in front of it.

Leo had his back to me but I could see Ivy standing in front of him.

She giggled at something he said and the familiar sick feeling made itself known in my stomach.

Just as I went to turn around and leave the school, she reached up to him, obviously going to kiss him.

I'd seen enough, I didn't want to be humiliated anymore.

Once again, Kirsty watched me as I stormed past her, a smug look on her face.

As I made my way through the entrance of the school, Harvey noticed me before I could escape as he was still standing outside talking to his friends.

"Eliana, wait!"

I didn't stop. I couldn't be here today. I just felt like an idiot and there's no way I would be able to focus on school.

With no particular destination in mind, I just headed into town. It wasn't too far from the school and it was somewhere I would be able to just chill out away from everyone.

Around 20 minutes into my walk, I felt my phone buzzing in my pocket and Leo's name flashed up on the screen.

God, I didn't want to answer it but I knew if I didn't, he would get worried and keep bugging me.

Hesitantly, I pressed the accept call button and held it to my ear.

"Hello?" My voice was small, my words struggling to even come out to him.

"Hey, where are you? Someone said they saw you come into school but you're not here? Are you ok?"

Ugh, just hearing his voice made my heart melt a little bit it was quickly followed by the numbness that wouldn't leave my body.

"Uh yea, I suddenly didn't feel well. I haven't slept much so I walked home. I'll be fine." I tried to downplay how I was feeling so he wouldn't get suspicious.

"Are you sure? I can ditch school and look after you if you want?"

See, I just didn't understand why he was still being so nice to me? If he had Ivy then why was he still caring for me like nothing had happened?

"It's fine, honestly. Plus if you left school the Harvey would get suspicious." I had to make it convincing enough for him to drop the subject and give up.

Leo sighed down the phone for a moment "Ok, I'll see you tomorrow at school if you're feeling better. I miss you."

Those last three words stung like hell. I didn't know what to say back.

"Yea, see you later." I pressed the end call button way too quickly.

My brain was scrambled from everything, I just hoped some time away from the madness would clear my mind of it.

I found myself at a small café that I think I had been too before.

The modern Art Deco interior was very pleasing to the eye and was definitely different from all the other small places in town.

The colours were loud and exciting which was a major mood booster.

I placed myself at a window seat, my eyes scanning through the drinks menu.

My appetite was still gone so I wasn't even going to attempt to order any food.

A young woman, wearing a smart white shirt and her hair styled in a fancy up-do came over to me. She held a small pen and pad in her hands.

"Hey there hun, you having anything?" She was very cheery, and I admired the beaming smile on her face that was painted a faint coral colour.

"I'll just have a hot chocolate please with a shot of vanilla if you have it." I replied, placing the menu down on the table.

She scribbled something down on her notepad and smiled at me again "Sure thing, won't be long."

The energy that she radiated vanished the further she walked away and I envied it.

I envied how positive people were when I felt like I was just sucking the life out of everything with his I was feeling.

It wasn't long until a tall glass of steaming hot chocolate was placed on the table and I went to thank the woman again but when I turned around it was a man in front of me.

He looked very familiar and I couldn't put my finger on who he looked like.

Dark hazel eyes, short dirty blond hair that was styled slick backwards. I also noticed the tattoos on his arms which made him look a lot meaner that his face did alone.

"One hot chocolate, with a pump of vanilla." He said with a side smile.

Something about him made me feel uneasy so I forced a smile back "Thanks."

I expected him to turn away but I couldn't help but feel extremely uncomfortable when he went and sat in the seat opposite me.

I fidgeted where I sat, my eyes going from the man to the drink in front of me.

"Sorry, how rude of me," he laughed after a couple of moments of him just staring at me "Allow me to introduce myself."

He lent back in his chair, his hand running through his hair and that's when it snapped in my brain.

"The names Devin Taylor."