Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Evie

I sleep in late and crawl out of bed, dragging myself downstairs so I can make some coffee. I switch the TV on as I walk by it, ignoring the main news report as it rolls across the screen.

I curl up on the sofa and pick up the remote, wondering what channel I can switch over to when I see it.

"Twenty-four year old Solicitor found dead in her home."

It captures my attention straight and I can't help but turn up the volume, morbid curiosity compels me to listen.

"A young female's body was found early on this morning at her home address. A work colleague discovered the body when he turned up to collect her. They were scheduled to take a business trip which is why the colleague in question was concerned when he couldn't get in touch with her. He entered her home shortly after nine o'clock this morning and was the first to identify the body. Kirsty's death is being treated as suspicious and we can only speculate that this is now a murder enquiry. Forensics have come to the conclusion that the victim was killed by asphyxiation."

"My God..." I whisper, horrified by what I've just heard.

There's some sick people in the world. I remind myself, making a vow to double check my doors and windows before I go to sleep tonight...

The young woman's death plays on my mind throughout the rest of my day. The fact that I'm home alone doesn't help and decide to call Ellen, hoping she might rescue me for a few hours.

"Eve, what's wrong? Are you ok?" She asks, answering her phone quickly.

"I'm fine." I assure her, hoping to sound convincing. "I'm just wondering if the kids are still with their dad?"

"He has them until tomorrow." She replies. "Why do you ask?"

"I just wondered if it was too late for me to take you up on your offer. I'd really like to get out of the house for a while."

"Of course not! I'll pick you up in half an hour." She replies cheerfully.

I quickly get ready and drag a brush through my hair, hoping I look somewhat presentable. I've not made much of an effort lately because I've been feeling so low, struggling to get out of bed most mornings.

It was much easier when I used to babysit for Ellen. I knew I had to be there for the children and enjoyed my time with them. They were a welcome distraction from the chaos in my mind and I'll always be grateful to my friend and her family for being there for me.

Now... each day seems endless, mirroring the one before it and the day after that. I know I should be searching for some sort of job to occupy my time but just don't have the energy anymore.

My entire focus is still on Niall, consumed by the never ending dismay I go to bed with each night, drowning with the realisation that I might never find him.

Ellen picks me up on time and we head towards her house. It's a dismal autumn day and freezing cold outside. She turns her heating up once we get driving and I slowly start to warm up, rubbing my hands together while my teeth chatter.

"They must be mad." I observe, pointing out the numerous people walking by.

"Why?"

"All of them." I remark, staring out my window. "Why would they want to be out in this weather?"

"They might not have a choice." Ellen ponders, slowing down when we reach some traffic lights. "They might not have a car or simply need to get to work."

"Unlike me." I snap bitterly.

"Something will turn up, Eve."

"I've heard that one before." I retort sharply.

"Because it's true."

"I'm twenty-seven." I remind her dismally, folding my arms across my chest. "If something was supposed to work out for me then it would have happened by now."

"The only reason it hasn't is because you put restrictions on yourself. You're the only one keeping yourself from living a normal life."

"I don't want normal." I whisper, sighing deeply. "I want him."

We reach Ellen's house and race indoors, fighting against the blustery wind and icy rain.

"I turned the heating up before you came." She informs me, smiling warmly.

"Thanks. It's so cosy in here."

Ellen knows I can't stand low temperatures. It was always freezing growing up in the children's home and I can't tolerate being cold because of it.

"Do you want a drink? I can make you a hot chocolate." She offers, heading into the kitchen. "I even have marshmallows.

"That would be lovely."

Ellen's house is exquisite. A large detached in the middle of the suburbs with a lovely garden and six bedrooms.

She's the headmistress of a school close by and has worked so hard for everything she has. Her husband walked out on her several years ago but she remains amicable with him for the sake of her two daughters.

She's sophisticated, composed, level-headed rational... pretty much everything I'm not.

We're complete opposites but I think that's why our friendship works so well. I'm petite, mousy, introverted and shy whereas Ellen is confident, business-like and straight-forward. She keeps me on the right path and I don't know what I would do without her.

We curl up on the sofa, cradling our hot chocolates when I decide to ask her about what I saw on TV this morning.

"Did you hear about that girl?" I ask. "You know the solicitor who was killed last night?"

"Oh, I caught a glimpse of the report earlier. It's terrifying, isn't it?"

"I felt a little jumpy being on my own." I admit. "Her house is only a few miles from my own."

"You can always stay here tonight. You could sleep in the spare bedroom." She offers, squeezing my hand.

"Thanks but I don't want to impose."

"Eve, you're part of this family. How could you ever impose on us?"

"You're a great friend, Ellen. Thank you."

"I'm just not him, right? No one can replace your best friend."

I put down my hot chocolate and exhale slowly, realising she's going to push me for an answer.

"It... it's different."

"I know." She says softly.

"I don't think you do." I tell her, raking my fingers through my hair. "And that's the whole problem. No one understands."

"Have you considered what I said about going to see your therapist again?" She enquires, watching me closely.

"I've already made an appointment."

"Eve, that's great." She praises me. "I'm so proud of you."

"I guess I'll just see how it goes."

I made the phone call this morning, right after I heard the news report. I knew it had unnerved me and that I'd struggle to sleep later on that night.

My nightmares have returned lately and I feel as though I'm suffocating, drowning in my own misery and despair.

I knew it was the right time to see her again.