Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Evie

I didn't speak to Niall the following night like I said I would. It took me another week before I decided enough was enough and I had to see him.

Tonight's the night.

The night I've been waiting for since the fire.

The night I'll see him again.

Part of me is scared I won't be able to go through with it. The other half is scared that I will.

I've been waiting all week but Friday is finally here. Ellen said she'll pick me up and drop me off at Niall's house whenever I'm ready to leave.

Which is now.

I've changed my mind several times but know I must go through with it.

I'm pacing back and forth, scrambling through the words I'm going to say to him when my friend knocks on my front door.

I can't believe this is happening...

My hands are trembling as I open it, dragging Ellen inside so she can talk some sense into me.

"Tell me I'm crazy." I plead with her, grabbing hold of her hands. "Tell me I'm mad for doing this."

"You're not crazy." She assures me, speaking calmly. "You're moving forward."

"What if he slams the door in my face? What if his girlfriend answers? What if he doesn't remember me?"

"Eve, that's impossible. Your mind is racing and now you're panicking. That's all this is."

"Are you sure? Are you sure I'm not going insane?"

"Sweetheart, this is something you have to do. This is how you will find peace." She encourages me.

Ellen finally persuades me to leave the house and make it into her car. She tries talking to me throughout our journey but I can't even focus on what she's saying. My whole body feels alive and I can't remember the last time I felt like this. I can't remember the last time I felt anything but sadness.

"Please let him be home." I whisper, clasping my hands tightly.

"We can wait for him if he isn't." Ellen adds. "I'm not letting you run away from this again."

"Thank you." I reply gratefully.

We pull up outside and I inhale deeply, scrambling to unbuckle my seatbelt.

"His light is on." My friend observes. "That means he might be home."

"Give me a few minutes." I beg her.

"You can do this, Eve. I can come with you if you want me to."

"I can do this, can't I?" I ask her, desperate for some more assurance.

"That's right. You can."

It takes me another ten minutes but I finally get out of the car, forcing my feet up the garden path towards his front door.

Just knock.

I glance behind me and see Ellen watching, urging me to move forward.

This is it.

Now or never...