Chapter 4

Louis' POV

Harry didn't come in the next day, and I was relieved because it would've been extremely awkward.

I shouldn't have let him try to kiss me. I can't open up so quickly when I'll end up losing them in the end. He'll get hurt and he doesn't deserve that.

There's no point in hoping when I've been trying for years to get a heart. I'm almost dead, why would I be lucky now?

The only good thing that has happened so far is Harry. He came into my life so suddenly, although he was my doctor, and I'd never met anyone like him. He was interested in me and I had no clue why.

I heard a tiny knock on my door and Nurse Ella walked in. I didn't even try to smile at her; it would just look fake, forced.

"Yes?" I mumbled as polite as I could.

"Ally said she wanted to come see you," she smiled, and then I saw Ally peek out from behind Nurse Ella's legs. My face fell when I saw that her hair was noticeably thinner than yesterday, and her skin was paler.

"Hi Ally," I gave her a weak smile and lifted my thin arms for her to come to. She rushed up to me and into my hug, burying her face in my neck.

"I missed you Louis," she whispered.

"I missed you too sweetie," I smiled, but my heart was breaking. She was so much weaker than yesterday, and she didn't deserve it. But her personality was still as bubbly as ever.

I jumped a little when I saw a older girl that looked very similar to Ally walk in with a yorkie puppy in her arms.

"Look!" I whispered, pointing over Ally's small shoulder. She whipped her head around to where I was pointing.

"MOLLY!" She squealed, untangling her arms from me and rushing to the tiny dog. I couldn't help but smile in adoration when Ally kissed the little puppy between the ears.

"Isn't she cute Louis?" She asked me, and I can tell my answer meant the world to her. It was weird to have people actually care about me for once. My mum left me a long time ago, so I kind of gave up hope.

"She's adorable." This time I was too weak to smile; in fact I felt like I was about to pass out. Nurse Ella noticed me, and she politely but quickly rushed the two girls and their dog out of the room.

"How are you feeling?" She asked worriedly. I was sweating now, my heart was beating in uneven paces.

"I don't know," I started breathing heavily and then coughing. In fact, I started coughing so hard that Nurse Ella had to call in the other doctor that worked here.

I felt myself being injected with a medicine right as I started coughing up mucus, and I felt like I was going to die right there. But then my eyelids drooped and I felt myself falling asleep.

***

When I woke up, I saw a nurse standing there and checking my vitals. I didn't recognize her, but still asked her what happened. I noticed right before she started talking that her name was Alice.

"Louis, it is very common for people in heart failure to experience symptoms such as coughing, chest pains, and sometimes even swelling. We'll know it's getting bad if you start swelling, so that's a plus," She trys to smile but fails miserably.

"Please just tell me the truth," I frowned at her. I knew I was going to cry, I could feel it coming. My throat was killing me and I had just been coughing up disgusting stuff. I felt disgusting.

Alice sighed a little bit before giving me a sympathetic look. "It's doesn't look good hun. But stay hopeful. A miracle could happen." Is all she said. She gave me a quick pat on the shoulder before exiting the room quietly.

I just wanted Harry. I didn't care that he just tried to kiss me, I still needed him. I wanted his company, I wanted to forget about this for a second. He was the only one here besides Ally who could distract me, or make me smile even if just for a moment.

Harry's POV

I walked around my empty cabin, humming a quiet tune to myself. I wanted to clean, but the house was already spotless because the maids had just cleaned it. I was thinking about firing them. Just because I could afford it didn't mean that I need it. What I did need was a distraction from Louis, and cleaning would be perfect for that.

So I opted do it anyway. I pulled the sweeper from the closet, and plugged it into a nearby outlet.

As I vacuumed the clean carpet, all I could think about was Louis and how he was doing. And then I thought about how I shouldn't be thinking about Louis because he was my patient and I was his doctor.

I groaned in frustration and yanked the vacuum's plug from the wall. This was ridiculous. I was being immature and instead of focusing on my job I was focusing on some "almost kiss."

"Get him out of your head Styles," I mumbled to myself as I ran my hands through my curls.

***

Louis's POV

Stay hopeful. A miracle could happen.

***

Sorry this is so short! I'm having writer's block as I just updated 3 other stories before this and uggghh. I spent my New Years writing so Happy New Years! It's now 12:05 hehe.

Hope you like, comment your thoughts.

~Kayla (@uniquelyxlarry)