Chapter 5

Harry's POV

I took a moment to gather myself before I entered Louis' s room. I wanted more than anything to run away, but I was his doctor and I had to care for him.

The world must have been on my side because he was asleep when I entered. I looked over his chart, mentally panicking when I saw he had passed out. I quickly scanned over the rest, hoping to find some indication that he wasn't in a coma.

I got one when he rolled onto his side in his sleep. I sighed, waves of relief washing over me. I couldn't kiss him, but that didn't mean I couldn't care about him.

I checked his vitals and recorded them in the chart. He seemed okay but that didn't necessarily mean he was.

"Harry?" A groggy voice snapped me out of my thoughts and I looked down at the fragile boy in the hospital bed. He looked so small.

"Hey." I smiled.

His face fell and his voice lowered to almost a whisper. "Where were you?"

"It was my day off." I explained, not wanting to upset him.

He didn't say anything else. He just stared at me for what felt like hours but was probably only seconds.

"How do you feel?" I broke the silence.

"Same as always. Shitty."

"Define shitty."

This earned me a small laugh and I mentally patted myself on the back for it.

"My chest hurts and sometimes I feel like I'm going to puke." He avoided my eyes, playing with that damn thread on the sheets. "And I wake up in pain a lot."

"What do you mean?" I looked up from where I was writing.

"Like sometimes it's my hands or my feet or my thigh, just random body parts. It feels like I'm getting stabbed."

"That's most likely the decreased blood flow taking effect. The chest pain is pretty common but paired with the nausea it can lead to some complications. I'm going to schedule you for an MRI just to be sure nothing else is going on."

"Why?"

"I just told you why."

"No, I mean why waste time and money on me when I'm just going to die anyways?"

I stared incredibly at him, my eyes widening in horror.

"Be positive Louis." I scolded. "You're going to be just fine."

"You can't possibly know that." He scoffed.

I finished my notes in his chart adding signs of depression to it. I set it aside and faced him.

"You have to fight this Louis."

"I have nothing to fight for."

It was silent for a while. We just glared at each other.

"Then find something. You're not going down without a fight."

I turned towards the door and left, slamming it behind me, fighting back tears. I had only known him for a week and I already cared so much for him.

A couple nurses gave me weird looks, but I ignored them and continued to check up on my other patients.

 ***

Louis' s POV

I sat there in shock. He looked so angry before he left. I never wanted to see him angry again. I only wanted him happy. He deserved it. He was such a good guy and now he's all stressed because of me!