Chapter 10

LOUIS' POV

"Are you ready?" I heard a soft voice whisper in my ear, pulling me from my sleep. I glanced up to see Harry's face hovering over me, leaving his warm breaths on my lips.

"Ready for what?" I asked, a bit confused and flustered.

Harry sighed and leaned back. I raised an eyebrow at him and he smiled slightly. "You're getting your ICD today. You promised Lou." My heart raced a bit faster when I heard those words. 

"What does ICD stand for again?" I questioned.

"Implantable cardioverter defibrillator." The words rolled off his tongue like they were simple. But they were so confusing.

"Don't worry too much, you're going to be asleep when it happens." Harry placed his warm hand on mine, bringing a smile to my lips.

"Okay," I whispered. I was already growing tired from sitting up like this. Harry informed me that my surgery was in a few hours, kissed me sweetly, and left the room.

***

I don't know if it was the constant beeping of my heart monitor, or the little taps of rain on the window, but I was growing restless and worried. My hands were shaking as I looked at the clock on the wall across from my bed. It was 10:00. My surgery as scheduled at 10:15. Ella told me everyone was prepped and ready, except for Harry. He was finishing up his check in with Ally. Part of me didn't want to hear the update on her. She wasn't doing well.

The sound of the door opening pulled me from my thoughts. I looked up and saw Ella walking in with a rolling bed. "This is where you're going to lay during the surgery," She glanced at me while laying a sheet across it.

I nodded nervously, placing my hand over my chest which was already scattered with scars. 
"You're going to be fine honey. Just breathe." I gulped as she unplugged some things and reached her hands out to me. I let her help me get out of the bed and onto the rolling one. The sheets crinkled beneath me and I layed down carefully. 

She rolled me out of the room as I tried to calm my pounding heart.

***

"Alright Louis, you're going to be sleeping during this surgery, and we're numbing the area, so you won't feel a thing. Okay?" The anesthesiologists sweet voice soothed me a bit as she injected a fluid into my IV. I could see nurses placing tools on a table next to me, and I might've even saw Harry. 

"Count backwards from ten honey," She told me.

"10, 9, 8," I murmured as my eyelids drooped.

"6, 5, 4, 3..."

***

HARRY"S POV

Seeing Louis sleeping on the surgery bed with many machines hooked up to him made my heart hurt. I just wanted to get this surgery over with. I had put many ICD's in before, and I knew he would be okay, but I was still a little scared.

First, I put the wires in. I could see his heart on a little monitor, because there was a camera attached to the tube in his mouth. It was beating, but slowly. His sluggish heart beats weren't strong enough to support him. Soon, he would need a new heart or he could die.

Stop thinking about that. Just get through with the surgery.

This was the hard part. Cutting open his skin where his chest was so I could place the defibrillator in. Blood had never made me queasy, but seeing it on Louis made it much worse.

After the box was placed, I had to test to see if it worked. It actually worked perfectly, and all the nurses around me cheered as I sewed up the small incision.