Chapter 7

Louis' POV

It had been a week since Harry called for an MRI and I had been throwing up for three days straight. I was exhausted and even the slightest movement left me breathless.

“Hello, Louis. I’m going to take you down for your MRI now.” Nurse Ella took out my IV, and patted my hand when I winced.

She put a bandaid on it and pushed a wheelchair towards the bed. I carefully maneuvered myself into it and Nurse Ella pushed me into the hallway and to an elevator.

We went up two floors and entered the second room on the right. The room was fairly big. On one side there was a table with computers and laptops on it and a few doctors. On the other side was the MRI machine, which was just a giant circle and a bed that moved in and out of it.

Harry came around the table and told me what to do then helped me onto the machine and into a laying position.

“Did I mention I’m claustrophobic?” I laughed nervously.

“Don’t worry, it’s completely safe. I’ll be right over there. There's also a speaker in there so you can talk to me if you get scared. Just try to stay still.” He smiled reassuringly.

I nodded, willing my body to relax. I trusted Harry and he said it would be okay.

He took a seat at the table and someone else pushed a button, starting the machine. The part I was laying on slowly moved into the circle and my heart started racing. It was only to my chest when I started breathing heavily.

“Stop.” I muttered. “I don’t like this!”

“Louis, you’re okay. Just close your eyes and pretend you're on a beach or something. Go to your happy place.” Harry’s voice crackled over the speaker.

I squeezed them shut, but instead of the beach I thought about living in a big house with Harry and Ally and all of us laughing and having a good time as a family. I was crushing hard. My cheeks heated up and I was glad my face was hidden.

Before I knew it, I was moving out of the MRI machine and Nurse Ella was back at my side and helping me into the wheelchair.

I glanced at Harry, but he had his head in his hands and was gripping his hair. I paled. That could only mean one thing. Bad news.

“Dr. Styles will be up to talk to you in about an hour or so.” Nurse Ella said as she wheeled me away.

**

One hour turned into four and when Harry finally did come in I was more nervous than I’d ever been before.

“How bad is it?” I gulped.

He sat in the chair I considered to be his, since he was the only one who sat in it, and looked at me for a minute with a pained expression.

“There was some swelling, which means your pacemaker is not helping as much as I’d like.” He handed me a sheet that looked like a more detailed x-ray picture. “That’s your heart,” He pointed to an oval shaped lump, “And this,” He circled his finger around it. “is the swelling. This over here,” He pointed to the left side of my heart to a small circle, “Is your pacemaker.” He handed me another photo. “This is when you first came in.”

My eyes widened at the difference. The one taken today was so much bigger.

He handed me another. “This is a healthy heart.”

I couldn’t see any resemblance in my two pictures to the normal heart. I sighed heavily and set them down. Harry was staring down at the floor, but his hand was resting on the edge of the bed. I reached out on a whim and held his warm hand in my cold one.

He smiled softly, but didn’t comment on it.

“I want to take out the pacemaker and put in an implantable cardioverter defibrillator or ICD.”

I raised an eyebrow, asking him to explain what the hell that was.

“ICDs detect abnormal heart rhythms that may occur. If your heart rhythm is too slow, it can give your heart extra support by working as a normal pacemaker. If your heart beats too fast, the ICD can give you a burst of extra beats at a slightly faster rate which should return your heart back to a normal rhythm, or it can give you a shock to restore a regular heartbeat.”

“Shock? Won’t that hurt.”

“No, it just feels like this.”

He put the thumb of his free hand over my heart and pushed gently. It didn't hurt, I just felt a slight pressure. “I think it’s your best option until we’re able to find you a new heart. And your insurance covers the entire cost of the ICD.”

“What happens if I don’t get it? How long would I live before my heart stopped.”

“A month, maybe two.” He squeezed my hand, a silent plea to get the ICD.

“Can I think about it?”

“There’s nothing to think about. Without this surgery you will die before we can get you another heart.” He said sternly.

I ran my hand through my hair that desperately needed to to be washed and groaned. My body ached all over.

“I’m tired Harry. I’m so tired of this. I'm constantly in pain and I never know if I’m going to wake up when I fall asleep. Half the time I hope that I won’t, just so I won't have to deal with this anymore. There is no heart for me. I’m ready for this to be over. Please, just let me die.”

He paled significantly and his grip on my hand tightened, almost to the point where it hurt, but then the pressure was gone and he was on his feet, glaring down at me.

“How can you even say that?” He yelled, throwing his hands up. “You’re so busy pitying yourself you can’t even see it!” He paced back and forth in front of my bed. I was stunned into silence.

“See what?” I asked quietly.

He whipped around to face me and I shrunk back automatically. He  sat in his chair again before answering.

“I like you. I like you a lot. More than a friend. And I know I shouldn’t because you’re my patient, but I do.” His voice was shaky and quiet.

I was to stunned to say anything. I had briefly suspected he like me back, but it was just a fleeting thought. Why would someone like him like someone like me?

“Kiss me." I breathed

He leaned in unbearably slow, making my heart race. I was a little embarrassed by the fact that you could hear my heart racing on the monitor as the beeps got closer together.

Our lips were barely touching when he reached behind him and turned the sound of the monitor off, helping me relax some.

I could feel his warm breath on my face. Then I got the most wonderful feeling. My body warmed and my hands tingled as he moved his mouth against mine. I had kissed others, but never like this. I snaked my hand around to the back of his neck, pulling him closer. I was too weak to sit up, but I wanted him closer. I wanted him to kiss me deeper.

He must have read my mind, because he parted my lips with his tongue, causing me to shudder.

When he sat back I gazed up at him in amazement.

“I like you too by the way.”

He snorted. “Thank you Captain Obvious.”

We were quiet for a while, just staring into each other’s eyes with goofy smiles. It was like one of those cliche’ movie scenes.

“Please get the ICD.” He looked down at his hands, playing with his thumbs

“Okay.” I sighed. “But only if you kiss me again.”

“Deal.” He grinned, molding our lips together once again.

****

A/N hey guys *awkwardly waves* we'd love some feedback (positive and negative) so drop a comment by and we'll dedicate and chapter to you:)