Chapter 17

Louis’s POV

“Come on Lou, you need to get up.”

I grumbled, pulling the covers over my head, blocking out Harry’s voice.

“No.” I whined. “It’s warm and soft.”

He ripped the covers off me and I glared as the cold air hit my body. He hovered over me, smiling mischievously. “Hi.”

I rolled my eyes and wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him down for a kiss. He hummed contently and I pulled him closer.

The pain in my chest increased, but I wasn’t going to tell Harry that. He would just make me go back to the hospital. I would have to go regardless, because I couldn’t be left alone, but at least I would get to come home with him and sleep in the same bed as him and maybe do other things in that bed.

When we parted for air he stood with a wince and I did the same. We laughed at each other all the way into the kitchen. We were both waddling like penguins.

“Breakfast?” I put on my best puppy dog face as I sat on the couch.

The chairs at the table were too hard.

“More like lunch.” Harry snorted, but he went to the fridge anyways and got out stuff to make sandwiches with.

I asked for a peanut butter and jelly and he ate a peanut butter and banana, which I insisted couldn’t taste good.

He only laughed and ate the entire thing, licking his fingers clean afterwards. I had to look away.

We cuddled on the couch, watching movies and kissing occasionally. I dreaded going back to the hospital. We wouldn’t be able to do things like that while we were there. Mostly because Harry had to work and he couldn’t just sit around and talk to me.

Around five Harry packed a small bag with his scrubs and an extra change of clothes and a pair for me, then he grabbed my hand and we got into his car.

“If I make it through this I want to get my driver’s license.”

He looked over at me with a frown. “I told you to stop saying that. You are going to make it through this. I’d give you my own heart if that was the only option.”

My eyes widened and my breath hitched. “No. No no no. Promise me you won’t do that. Harry Styles I would never be able to live with myself if you did that. I swear to god I’ll-”

“Relax babe. It won’t come to that.” He sighed. “You’re number six on the list. That’s pretty high up. Until then we’ll just find ways to prolong your heart.”

He entwined our fingers, squeezing gently. I sighed sadly and looked out the window as tears pooled in my eyes.

If I had Harry’s heart inside my body it would haunt me day and night. I couldn’t live with that, knowing that he had died to save me. A tear slid down my cheek and I wiped it away quickly before Harry could see.

The rest of the drive was silent except for the music coming from the radio. He parked in a reserved spot, but he didn’t move, nor did he let go of my hand.

He leaned over, kissing my cheek and then let go of my hand.

“Technically you’re not my patient right now, but you’ll have to be when a new heart comes, so the hospital still can’t know. Ella is the only one who knows and we need to keep it that way.”

We walked close together into the building and I followed Harry through the maze of hallways until he went into his office. Luckily there was a black leather couch against the wall so I laid on it while Harry sorted through the papers on his desk.