Chapter 20

Harry's POV

Waking up with empty arms was one of the worst feelings there was. I flashed back to the night before, remember the feeling of his body pressed up against me as we fell asleep. But the bed was empty, wrinkles in the sheets where I knew he was laying.

"Dr. Styles?" I whipped my head around to see Nurse Ella looking at me sympathetically.

"Where is he?" I growled, sitting up in the hospital bed.

"We took him for testing, I didn't want to wake you-"

"Why-" I paused, taking a deep breath through my nose and closing me eyes, "Why would you think that I didn't want to wake up when he did?"

She shrugged pathetically and I felt guilt tug at my chest.

"I'm sorry, I'm just in a bad mood. Can you just show me where he is?" She sighed and nodded, waiting for me to stand up before leading me out the open door.

We finally arrived in a small room, dimly lit by lights in the celiing. It was just enough light for me to see the sleeping boy on the bed, hooked  up to so many machines it made my heart hurt. I could see his long eyelashes from here, and his prominent cheekbones I've grown to love so much.

"Louis," I whispered, willing my feet to move towards him. But they stuck to the floor like cement as I stared at his face that was pale. Way too pale.

I cringed as a nurse stuck a needle in his arm, withdrawing blood, and he didn't even move or flinch.

There was a warmth on my shoulder and I looked down to see a hand.

Oh. Ella.

"It'll be okay, Harry." It was weird to hear her say my name, she usually called me Dr. Styles. I politely removed her hand from my shoulder and gave her a small smile before finally walking towards the boy I love.

"Have you got some results back yet?" I asked quietly, glancing at the short nurse in front of me. She pursed her lips and shook her head, closing up the tubes of Louis' blood in her hand. I bit my lip and looked away, trying my hardest not to let the tears take over.

"I"m sure his body won't reject it. The heart matched everything," she assured me, patting me on the arm before scurrying out of the room.

It was weird not having that usual chair that was always by his bedside. I glanced around until my gaze landed on a metal chair next to all the machines. I dragged it towards his temporary bed, ignoring the loud squeaky noise.

"Hey Lou," I said softly, settling on the cold metal chair as I placed my hands in his.

His eyelids didn't flutter like I expected. Furrowing my brow, I snatched up his chart from the table next to him. Flipping it open quickly, I read that they gave him a lot of pain medicine which made him really sleep and really hard to wake up.

This was going to be difficult.

"Louis," I cooed, gently patting my hand against his pale cheeks. He looked sick, so so sick.

He didn't move until I placed a gentle kiss on his lips, and it felt so cliche that I almost laughed.

"Harry?" Louis' voice cracked and he gazed up at me with sleepy eyes. I stared at him in adoration before responding, "Hey baby."

The corners of his mouth lifted slightly before going back into a frown. His eyes were barely open, so I could only see a glimpse of blue underneath his eyelids. I could feel his hand shaking in mine, and he looked like he could fall asleep at any moment.