Chapter 23

Harry’s POV

"Time of death 7:23 PM." The words rung in my ears, haunted my dreams, and drilled holes in my chest. Even though I knew it would happen eventually nothing had prepared me for the actual thing.

Louis had been moved into a normal room and was recovering physically but emotionally we were both drained. I was put off of major surgeries for a few weeks and I feared I would loose my job but the board knew I was going through a lot so they took pity on me.

"Haz?" Louis croaked. "Don't zone out. Please." He whispered. "I don't want to he alone."

I thumbed away a tear from his cheek and forced a small smile. It had been three days since Ally lost the battle to cancer but we still cried at the mention of her name.

My suit was hanging in my office along with one I rented for Louis. He was going to be let out of the hospital later that evening for the last time. His heart was working well and he would be living with a heart surgeon so at least we had something to look forward too.

When the time came for the funeral I helped Louis get dressed and tied his tie, tucking it under his collar. I had already dressed and clocked out. I grabbed his bag and put a gentle hand on his back to lead him to my car.

Not a word was spoken on the way to the church, but hand squeezes were exchanged occasionally. In the parking lot I sighed and tipped my head back against the headrest.

"She's really gone." I chewed on my lower lip and closed my eyes as Louis scooted over to rest his head on my shoulder.

Once inside we found our seats in the front row. Ally's sister was sitting a couple people away with Molly at her feet. She had picked up the dog the night Ally passed. I had grown quite attached to the yapping yorkie, but I knew Ally would have wanted her sister to keep her.

I laced our fingers together again and sighed deeply as the service begun. It was lovely and I couldn't have imagined anything better for Ally's departing. Besides her not departing at all.

Afterwards we followed the Hearse to the cemetery where she would be buried. Everyone cried over her coffin when they went up to set a tulip on it. Roses were traditional but Ally's favorite flower was the tulip so the church made an exception.

Louis and I went together and I kissed my finger tips then placed them on the coffin. "I love you Ally." I sniffed.

Louis repeated the motion and the closed his eyes. "I hope you're in a better place." He whispered.

I wrapped an arm around his waist and led him back to the crowd. Once all the flowers were placed the crowd started to disperse until it was just me, Louis, and Ally's sister Meredith. 

I walked over to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "If you need a place to stay, feel free to call me."

"Thank you Dr. Styles." She smiled softly. "She talked about you all the time, and how she considered you to be family. She wanted you to have this." She dug in her bag and held up the Pink stuffed bear she had named Larry.

I took it with a sad smile and thanked her before taking Louis home. It was quiet without Molly yapping at my feet and I sighed heavily as I set the bear on the couch.

Louis followed me around for for a while before I made him sit down. He was supposed to be resting and no matter how bad I needed comfort, I wasn't going to sacrifice his health for it. He laid down on the couch, hugging the pink stuffed bear to his chest.

I was about to start cooking dinner when he whispered my name weakly. When I looked at him he simply lifted his arms with a wobbly lip. I knew he wanted to cuddle and I wasn't that hungry anyways so I picked him up and carried him into the bedroom before helping him change. I did the same and then laid beside him, pulling him into my arms. He curled into my chest and sighed heavily. I kissed his forehead and then closed my eyes, so tears wouldn’t spill over.

“At least she’s not suffering.” Louis sniffled.

I nodded and hugged him close. “She’s in a better place.” I agreed.

****

A/N This is short, but I just felt like it needed to end there. R.I.P. Ally :’(
-Claire