Chapter 4

Then I listened to reason

I didn't chase after Hunter. Maybe I was thinking logically, or maybe he'd done a better job of scaring me than anyone I'd ever met. Either way, I didn't try looking for him after his rage in the showers. He'd proven that he was just as dangerous in human form as his wolf one. So, I stayed away.

That doesn't mean I packed up and left town or anything. It just means I didn't look for any more trouble. On the rare occasion that Hunter and I encountered each other in the hall, he would panic and run out of view. I could still feel him, though. There was no longer any doubt that he could see me at times that I couldn't. I figured that one of his powers let him track my movements and keep an eye on me wherever I go. It's not like the whole werewolf legend had all the facts right. He could have any number of powers that I wouldn't know about.

The school proved to be a good fit for me after all. I hung out with the jocks even though I didn't even consider joining a team yet. The girls' volleyball team had caught my eye more than once. All of my teachers treated me like I'd started their class with everyone else and I appreciated it. Even Miss Sin refrained from making any underhanded remarks during my time in her class. Everything started going unbelievably well for me once I started listening to reason.

When the weekend rolled around, I didn't even feel the need to stay home. I went out and hung with the soccer team which I'd grown to like the most. Just because I didn't consider joining, doesn't mean I couldn't play. We played a couple matches of street soccer in Jason's backyard. The place was big enough for a ten of us to play competitively.

Afterward, we went to have lunch with Jason's parents. "Did you play at your old school, Jake?" I shook my head and gave them a summary of my life story. It mostly consisted of me doing normal teenage stuff: video game tournaments, a few gymnastics, and maintaining honor roll. After that, we chatted about random things till it was time to go. The next day followed the exact same routine. Except, before I left to play, I checked my email.

There was a message from a Nicole Sin, in my inbox. The subject was, meet this afternoon. For a split second, I was tempted to open it. But logic told me that wasn't necessary. Teachers can't just summon me during a weekend, and I had no reason to talk to that werewolf tamer. Things were going well without her mind games and her brother's mood swings. I shut my laptop and enjoyed the rest of my weekend. I wasn't about to throw away all thought and reason to chase after a mystery again.

So, this was a short chapter to follow up the scene in the shower room. Some people might have expected Jake to be the obsessive type that couldn't take a hint, but he's not. Jake was ready to let the whole werewolf thing go, so keep reading and find out if it's willing to let him go as well ;)