Chapter 23

But he didn't seem to care 

I'm not sure what I was expecting him to say. I could see from the concentration on his face, that he wanted me to keep going. That he wanted me to say or think something that would be a better explanation for my lie, but I had nothing. My mind literally emptied of all thoughts and language. I dissolved into a mess of complicated emotions that made me want to turn around and hide behind a tree till he disappeared. I stared at him blankly while waiting for him to call me on my bullshit, or ask me for my reason, but he did neither.

Hunter faced me and his expression gave nothing away. The hopelessness and confusion that was there before vanished. Now he just watched me like he didn't know who I was. A few awkward moments passed before he finally spoke up. "Alright, I understand. Goodbye...Jake." Wait what? Was he really going to walk away without saying anything else? That couldn't just be it! He had to say something more! If he was serious about leaving town, then this couldn't just be our final goodbye! So why was he walking away from me now?

My lips trembled slightly and I felt a wave of helplessness wash over me as he started walking away. I had to say something, but I couldn't find my voice. I could hardly breathe under the pressure! "B-bye...Hunter..." What? No! Why did I say that?

He didn't even look at me. He just kept walking and nodded without turning his head. There was nothing but absolute calm on his face when he turned the corner and left my life. Slowly, I took baby steps till I was standing on the sidewalk in front of my house. The image of Hunter's back walking away from me played over and over while I stared blankly into space. A door opened behind me and I turned to see my father watching me from the opening. He looked concerned and I realized that I must have looked pretty messed up. "Jake. What happened?"

It was a struggle to get the words out. "He's leaving. He said goodbye..." I knew that my father had no clue who I was referring to. I never talked about Hunter in the first place. So at that moment he could have asked a dozen different questions. Instead, he noticed the tears that had built in my eyes without my permission. He held out a hand and gestured for me to come inside. As soon as I did, my father pulled me into a hug and pulled my head into his shoulder. As if on cue, the tears that had no reason for showing up, started flooding out of me. I started sobbing into my dad's brown sweater and couldn't stop.

My body shook with each sob and for a while, my mind stayed completely blank. I was mad because Hunter gave me such a stupid choice and left so easily after. I was confused because it didn't make sense for me to care about him at all considering how rarely we talked. I was even more furious with myself for acting like such a helpless idiot and clamming up when I could have said something. I could have said anything else! But above all, I was drowning in waves of sadness and loss that I couldn't explain. Through it all, my father just let me get through it.

I have no clue how long I stood there crying, but we sat on the couch once the tears released me from their grip. My dad still kept me close, and I knew he wanted to ask questions, but he kept silence and patted my head every so often. Eventually, I found my voice again, "I'm sorry, father."

"Hey, hey. Don't apologize like that. You know me better than that. The one thing I like more than being called 'father' is hearing a good story. So why don't you tell me a story instead of sorry? I'd like to hear something true if you've got one ready." In spite of it all, I snickered. This guy and his story obsession. I wanted to tell him what happened even though I didn't actually want to talk about it. So I did what he always did. I told the story in the first person narrative, skipping plenty of details along the way and being vague at every chance I got.

"It all began with a growl. Then there was a smile...so of course, I followed my instinct. That didn't turn out so well, so then I listened to reason...until the smile had me cornered." He listened with feigned enthusiasm. Reacting to my vagueness with baited breath and occasional gasps and awes. As usual, my father got me to smile and forget my previous depression in the most ridiculous ways. Talking about it should have made things worse, but I found myself talking dramatically just to keep the show going. "The big bad wolf shut me down, and I didn't know what to do! So, I chose to embrace the hell I was in, and of course, then came the demons."

"Demons!?" he gasped.

"Twin demons! My vacation came and went right out the window after that. If you feel confused now, you can imagine how I felt. I pretty much knew nothing about anything."

"Wow! Then what happened?" I cringed slightly but decided to continue the story.

"I almost kissed a guy..." I muttered. There was no way I was about to tell him that I liked it, but I think he figured that much for himself. I rushed to continue the story, "And I fell right into the demons' trap!"

"No way! I thought we raised you to be cleverer than that." He laughed and I grinned like the Chesire cat.

"I know right! For once, I was speechless! But...I didn't have to be alone that night." My father nodded in an understanding fashion. I had to admit that sleeping by myself was lonely in order for the story to make sense. My chest tightened when the story caught up to the current events. It was hard explaining why Hunter had to leave without telling the part about his pack and all that mythical stuff. I managed to explain that Hunter asked me if I wanted to be with him. "I told him no, but...I think he knew I was lying." I paused to steady myself for a moment and dad got antsy.

"So? What did he do? How did he react? Don't end on a cliffhanger!" I didn't intend to, but the next line hurt to say.

I looked back on the final moments that led up to Hunter walking out of my life. "He knew that I was lying, but he didn't seem to care."

Were you expecting the recap chapter? Are you glad for the surprise? if so let me know with a comment lol ;)