Chapter 8

Then the wolf ignored me

The next couple of weeks went by without anything special occurring. I went to school and followed the usual routine. There were no Hunter sightings in the halls like before, but I didn't think anything of it. If he could see me anywhere I went, it must have been easy to stay clear. I was beginning to think I should return his necklace. I was also starting to think I'd never see him again after I did. For some reason, that thought didn't make me so cheerful.

It wasn't as if I'd stopped having the sense of eyes watching me. That feeling was almost constant throughout the day, but now it wasn't paranoia. Knowing it was Hunter's weird ability made it less distracting. I could focus on other things like school and games without worrying that I was being stalked. It was still a little awkward getting into showers at first, but even that wore off, and I undressed easily. If he'd been watching all this time, then he must know what I look like naked pretty well by now.

Miss Sin didn't try talking to me again either. She treated me like every other member of her class. Again, that didn't make me as happy as it should. After she kissed me, I was hoping there might be a little more that could happen, but I guess she wasn't happy with my arrangement with Hunter.

It was after four weeks without any sign of the big bad wolf that I decided he could have his chain back. I pulled it out of my pocket and waved it in the air after school ended. The feeling of being watched escalated, and I knew I'd caught Hunter's attention. Yeah, I was figuring things out on my own pretty well. The werewolf could always see me, but that didn't mean he was always paying attention. Most of the time it was like I was just in the corner of his vision when he actually focused on me it felt heavier.

"Come on, Wolfe. I know you can see me...and you can probably hear me too," I said into the empty space behind the bleachers. It seemed like a safe place to meet. Twenty minutes went by before I realized he wasn't coming. "Fine, I'll hold onto it for a little longer then."

The next day I tried the same, but Hunter didn't show. I tried again the next day, and the day after that. It became an after-school habit that I prayed no one would notice. It wasn't like a normal meet-up where the other person could easily just forget and decide not to show up. I could literally sense Hunter's gaze on me for the entire time I waited each day. He watched me intently for hours, even after I left the meeting place. That fact that he knew I was trying to summon him, yet ignored me anyway, filled my chest with frustration. Wasn't this pendant supposed to be super important or something?

I spoke with members of the track team about Hunter's location, but they knew nothing. Apparently, he had quit the track team almost a month ago. Since we never talked, I had no idea who his close friends would be. His class schedule was a mystery all on its own. One night I spent hours trying to clear thoughts of his disappearance from my mind. I tired myself out by blasting heavy rock music while reading a history textbook. When my brain felt like it had enough stress, I switched to my favorite bedtime soundtrack and let all thoughts drift away.

"If I could, begin to be, half of what you think of me;

I could do about anything.

I could even learn how to love, like you" the song played and my tired mind sang along. Then I could feel him watching again. So clearly that I could just imagine him in my dreams, watching every image I conjured up inside my head.

"When I see, the way you act, wondering when I'm coming back;

I could do about anything.

I could even learn how to love like you" Hunter heard every word. His attention and focus was astounding. It made me feel interesting and special. The complete opposite of what I felt during the day.

I fell asleep that night with a strange feeling enveloping me. It was light and curious, soft yet furious, raw and mysterious. One thing for certain, I couldn't go back to being ignored.

The next day, I met with Miss Sin after class ended. As soon as the students left the room, I closed the door. A few girls noticed but didn't do more than giggle. When Nicole looked at me, I realized her in-class kindness was a façade. She was pissed. "What do you need Mr. Cross? I'm a busy woman, and I don't have time for games today."

I subconsciously raised my hands in defense. That's just how intimidating the blonde teacher suddenly felt. "I wanted to return the chain to Hunter, but I can't find him. I called, but he won't show. Do you have a copy of his class schedule?" I didn't think it was possible, but her gaze turned even more hostile.

"My brother hasn't left home in two weeks. He can't!" there was a knock on the door as the next class was waiting to enter. "He's not even allowing me within ten feet of his territory! The pack has been trying to get through to him, but no one can get close. Leave, Kent. You've done enough damage." The door behind me opened, and students started walking in. Miss Sin was back to her usual smiling self, not an ounce of hatred left on her face. "Oh my, I believe the bell is about to ring. You should hurry on to your next class."

I left the room feeling like the scum of the earth. She'd been cryptic, but that was typical. The way she talked made it sound like it was all my fault. So either something I said, or taking the chain with me had done something to Hunter. There was no way economics class would hold my attention now, so I ran out of the school instead.

It took me ten minutes to reach Hunter's home by sprinting. My legs felt like jelly after the first five, but I was in a rush apparently. I had heard the wolf way before I saw it. Its anger, its annoyance, and even its desire seemed to echo through the trees as I approached. Then I heard his voice, husky and deep, "Leave! Now! Jake!" I smirked and walked up to the concrete den. If he knew me at all, he'd know I don't like being ignored too much.