Chapter 44

I didn't know it could get so cold

I almost turned away from the burning house. Not because I was ashamed or guilt-stricken, just because I didn't see anything left to do to it.

The fires started catching quickly despite the rain. The winds had a life of their own today and they seemed to be on my side as they stoked the fires. There was nothing left for me to do, so I looked away and tried quelling the burning I felt inside.

A sudden sharp snap of two hands caught my attention and I whipped my head back to the Blake house. A copper-skinned man stood in the open doorway watching the scene with joyous amusement in his smile. He clapped and the fires all throughout the home extinguished as if their life had been snuffed out. He clapped again and the howling wind itself ceased to a silent whisper in the air. Again, he smacked his palms together and the clouds closed their floodgates, ending the rainfall in seconds. I started reaching into my pocket for the lighter, but he clapped once more and my body froze.

"Bravo, what a show!" the man applauded as Byron Blake came hurrying out of the house to survey the scene. He saw me with my bottle of oil and the scorch marks that still stained the bright paint off his house. A bit of hurt worked its way onto that iron face of his and it brought a smile to my own.

I could still smile...

"Explain yourself, kid," Byron commanded. The words confused me on a physical level. My body was struggling to figure out what to do, and I realized it was because of their powers. The smiling asshole had paralyzed me somehow when he clapped, so most of my body refused to obey. Yet the iron giant's command was like a hypnotic plague that went straight to my head. "Do not move, just speak!" he shouted.

Of course, my mouth started moving and I barely had control over my own words. "You monsters took him from me! I came to make you pay for it. You need to burn for this! You need to burn the way I am now," I cried out. The asshole started laughing and walked beside the giant. He was a good few inches shorter, but still tall on his.

"It looks like the people hate you here even more than they did back east, Byre. Can't say I'm not surprised," he mused. Byron didn't even spare a glance in his direction, he was too busy glaring my way. I didn't care.

The force that was keeping me from moving felt like cold cement in my muscles. I gritted my teeth and struggled, but barely managed to move a wrist. I was going to make them pay. All I needed to do was reach into my pocket!

"Oh man, isn't that adorable, Byre? The little munchkin is still trying to move," he laughed at first, but then I pushed through and pulled the lighter out. It was obvious that surprised him because the smile shrunk to half its size. "Oh."

"Drop it," Byron growled, and for just a moment longer, I held on before releasing the small tube. I could almost see it working on me now. The twisted powers that these demons used. All of them looked the same at first, but they worked differently. Nicholas made it feel like he was stopping time for everyone in range. His uncle was like a hypnotist on drugs and this new guy...well, I wasn't completely sure yet. But, I was getting used to it.

"I'm going to get free, and when I do... I'll make you pay for it. I will make you pay for everything. Do you hear me, assholes? Do you hear me!" I shouted and the atmosphere grew grim and heavy. That was my declaration of war, and I didn't care if all I could see was through tunnel vision.

"Yeah, we hear you, kid." The new guy muttered. Then he put a hand on Byron's shoulder and said calmly, "I'm going to take care of this one for you, Byre. This one is free of charge, okay?"

The large man's head whipped around and shock flared onto those hard features. Before he could say anything, the man clapped, and he killed me...

My blood turned to stone and froze within my veins. I could feel my heart stop beating at ounce because it was the last sound I heard before my vision started fading. An instant surge of cold began rising over my body and freezing my skin. My legs didn't even buckle at the knees properly, I just fell forward like...like a dead body.

Through the hollowness of my mind, I could hear a bit of arguing. "-it! That's not how I do things here! He was just a stupid kid!"

"Nah, he was a dangerous kid. You saw those eyes, didn't you? Now he's just a dead kid, crazy how that goes. I said I'd take care of it, and I did. I'll even clean up and make sure this isn't a problem for you, Byre. Relax," I could hear the smirk.

"Archer..." I couldn't hear anything else. Darkness was closing in on me so fast that...that I? Is this what happens when you let yourself burn too long.

Hunter... I...it's so cold. I didn't know it could get so cold.

:D then they got matching coffins and lived happily ever after in the afterlife <3 (Kidding, don't shoot!)

So, the Blake family has brought in some reinforcements. We were expecting new hunters to come to town eventually, but I doubt anyone expected it to escalate so quickly. (remember when there was entire chapter of just cuddling not too long ago? lol, yeah) Don't forget to let me know how you're feeling about these recent chapters. I know there's been a lot of feels packed in really close, but are you guys pulling through this part well enough?

Also, due to request, the next chapter will be the final flashback of book one. people asked for the story of how Jake's parents met, so Chapter 45.5 will tell the abridged story! :3