Chapter 10

He thinks I like it

"What are the strings for?" I asked, my voice thick with drowsiness. When I opened my eyes for the first time today, the colorful strings attached to the walls laid in front of me. They were thin and frayed like old yarn, but they ran parallel to the steel chains.

"They are sky. The rest are ground." Oh boy, the grammar in those sentences could kill an English teacher. I felt a soft rumble against my back and heard Hunter's laugh. It took me a moment to get my bearings and figure out where I was exactly. "You're on my lap, idiot. And I don't mean the strings are literally the sky. Softly woven fabric represents the sky while tempered metals represent the ground. It's metaphorical connection, so I didn't need to use comparative words." Shit, I forgot his sister was also an English teacher. Maybe he wasn't as muscle-brained as I thought. But what did he mean by his lap? Hunter sighed, "I'd love to know what made you think you'd be smarter than me in the first place. Just because I'm a werewolf doesn't mean I have to think like an animal, Jake."

Suddenly I realized his arms were still around my waist. My legs were entangled with his, and his chest was supporting my back. I'd literally spent the entire night sleeping ON him. Why hadn't he put me down? My thoughts made him stir uncomfortably.

"You...I didn't want to wake you." Bull! He sighed, "I couldn't move you anywhere more comfortable. I felt bad about what I did to you, so I kept you warm. Don't make a big deal about it, Jake." I could tell he was blushing. The chains around his wrists jangled as he shifted his hold on me. It felt weird knowing he was in my head, but I didn't hate it. Hunter's body was still so warm that I didn't want to wake up just yet. Maybe another five minutes wouldn't hurt. "Glad to know I'm a useful blanket." He started laughing and fell over. I pushed out of his grip and rose to my feet, trying to push him out of my head. There were some thoughts he didn't need to hear.

"Shut up!" I kicked him in the shin, but he just kept laughing up a storm. He looked so...normal. He was smiling and clutching his ribs like a little kid. His hair was still dirty, and I could smell him from five feet away, but that was all that seemed wrong with him. This wasn't the angst-ridden alpha werewolf that scared the hell out of me last night. Oh god, last night. Memories came flooding back like a tidal wave of hot stones. I buried my face in my hands, "what did you do to me? How could I let that happen?" he stopped laughing suddenly and glared at me. Not a full on Alpha glare, but an annoyed Hunter glare.

"Don't ask me that. Everything that happened last night was on you. Do you think I wanted any of that? These chains aren't just for decorative purposes. You came on to me!" My jaw dropped slightly, and I was about to protest. "If I did something without permission, would you tell me to stop? If I asked you to leave, would you have left? If I chained myself to my home for two weeks, would you have stayed away." My gaze drifted to an interesting looking piece of string on the floor. "I did all those things, Jake. Last night wasn't my fault at all!"

It was growing uncomfortably clear that Hunter Sin had a very logic mind that seemed to be skilled at calling me out for my stupidity. There was a time when I considered myself the smart one in my age group. "Well...fine, I made some mistakes." He cringed, and I felt his heart crunch somehow. Did I say something bad? "Let's just agree that we're both at fault. We need to go to school." Hunter stood up and started unlatching the chains. They came loose easily, proving that they weren't put on against his will. He caught me staring.

"I don't need to fully lock them. If I'm in any form other than a human, then my hands won't be able to escape them so easily. The string chains help me find my way back to myself no matter what form I become." Wow, that was actually useful information. I thought I'd be left in the dark forever. He heard those thoughts too apparently, "my family doesn't need publicity or attention. We used to practice talking circles around each other as kids. But at this point," he walked over to me once all of the chains fell and lowered his voice. "If you wanted to destroy my entire life, I couldn't stop you. You've already taken that power away from me." shit, don't think about the way he sounds. Now that my wariness had worn off, it was hard to keep focused on one thing. Suddenly I couldn't help but notice the way his voice always seemed to be deep and commanding. We were almost the same height, but his body was so well defined that I could hardly compare us. Even his messy blonde hair was so naturally attractive with the way it fell into soft curls above his face. His eyebrows raised and a smirk crossed his lips. Damn, his mind reading!

"OK, I get it. Just go shower Wolfe. You smell terrible." He started walking away, and his voice made its way to me without a sound. The silent words shut me up fast. 'I know you like it; I think you like being such an idiot.'

So, damn. Things have taken quite a bit of a development, but I got to know what you think. Our two main characters share an obvious attraction, but there's still so much that we don't know yet. So let me know your thoughts on Jake, Hunter, or anything in the story so far :)