Chapter 46

He still thinks I'm his idiot

"I am...glad you have recovered," said a tense Mr. Sin. He stood near the headboard leaning over his son's body. "Please, come inside."

I didn't forget how much I hated the man. The last time we were in the same room, he sicked his hounds on me without mercy. The scratches felt very fresh when seeing him, but I entered the room regardless. I walked over to the side where Nicole sat and got a close look at Hunter. The sight nearly rocked me off my feet.

His normally bright skin and blonde hair were pale and stiff. He looked so much like the guy that I'd fallen for against my will, but at the same time, there was nothing there...

"I know that we have had our differences in the past...but I would like to request your aid. Time is not on our side and losing Hunter is a crippling blow to not just myself, but our entire race," Sin said suddenly.

It sounded ridiculous for him to talk about 'requesting my aid' with all things considered. If he thought I'd be getting involved with his stupid war after what just happened...

"You've got to be kidding. I was just buried by those bloody demons and now you're talking about your race losing Hunter as if this is some kind of strategy meeting? Isn't he your son? Why did you even bring me here?" I could feel the pendant growing hotter around my neck as anger swelled inside of me. I opened my mouth ready to chew him out for being ridiculous, but Nicole put a hand on my arm to grab my attention.

"Hang on, Jake. It's not what you think," she assured. After taking a moment to collect her thoughts, "I know this must have all happened really fast for you, and I am sorry about that. I didn't get to explain the situation before, but I thought we could move faster if I skipped that part. I know that it was cruel of me to leave you in the dark, but Hunter isn't gone yet. At least, not entirely.

"When I found you near the school, I saw that his body was shutting down fast and I just- I just sort of went on the fritz." She wasn't making enough sense for me to keep from getting dizzy.

"What the hell are you saying, Nicole?" my head and heart were pounding in sync so I sat down on the edge of the bed.

It was Mrs. Sin that answered me. "She is saying that my son's body was fatally damaged and his soul was vulnerable. We are different from humans because our bodies are flexible. Our shape my change in any number of ways, but our soul is the only thing that matters and stays the same. When his body was broken, you were able to pull that soul out through the silver chain. Something that only an ideal and strong mate can do.

"So, what we are asking of you, Mr. Kent, is to return that soul to my son's body now that it has stabilized."

I was in shock and it definitely showed on my face. "I can bring him back to life?"

She nodded. "It would have been more guaranteed if Nicole had brought you earlier so that we could have done the transfer immediately after surgery. His body has been lifeless for an entire day at this point, but it may still be possible." I could hear a bit of blame in her voice as she said her daughter's name, but I didn't have it in me to think about that.

"Alright, what do I have to do to bring him back. Do I just put it back around him," I asked as I started reaching for the chain's clasp.

"No!" they all shouted at once.

Mr. Sin started adjusting Hunter's body and commanded Nicole to move aside. "The pendant is only a buffer zone. Take it off and that's the end. Just stay still," he ordered.

Soon, they'd arranged it so that his lifeless hand was clutching the silver while still attached to me. they waited, and waited, and waited until the anxiety in the room reached painful levels. Even I could tell that something should have happened by the time ten minutes passed, but nothing did.

No one said a word, but the expressions said it all. Too much time had passed and it wasn't working the way it should have. Grief sunk the father's shoulders, guilt and disbelief covered the sibling's faces, and the mother who had been riding on hope until now succumbed to devastation. The only sound in the room came from her heavy sobbing and after a few minutes, Mr. Sin had to carry her out of the room.

Nicole and Michael looked completely at a loss as they followed their parents out of the room. Nicole looked back to me on her way out and gave one last apology before closing the door behind her.

"How did I end up here?" I asked no one in particular. "When did my life become like this? It was just a simple move. I haven't even been out of the city for a year, and look at how much has changed." I pulled myself fully onto the bed and pulled the blanket up. It would probably look super creepy to anyone who happened to walk in, but I wrapped my arms around Hunter and pulled him close.

"I don't know how you did it...but you've made me fall in love with you so easily. I tried so hard to resist you. Didn't I? It felt like I was trying really hard at least. I struggled a lot...at first, but I guess you did end up getting between my legs a bunch of times anyway." I laughed a bit and buried my face into the back of his neck, closing my eyes.

My sense of time faded away and I just laid with him. Thinking, remembering, talking, and everything that I hadn't had enough time to do before. There was so much I was still curious about, so many things that I still wanted to try with him. My heart was pleading for him to come back and ease the growing sense of ache.

"I have...I've become pretty damn obsessed with you, haven't I? This scent always gets under my skin. Those eyes always get past my defenses. You already know everything about me...and I've only just gotten to figure you out. Are you really just going to leave me alone after invading my privacy? You won't hear me singing in my head again if you go," my voice was barely above a whisper, but my thoughts were louder than ever. I hummed along as the tune played in my head like it so often did.

That song is still stuck in my head because of you. Even death can't release me from the sound of your thoughts. What makes you think I want to hear it as soon as I make it back?  Then his voice broke through the silence, "damn, you're still an Idiot. I'll stick around though, as long as you remember that you're my idiot."

They've made it back to each other. i'm sure Jake and Hunter both had moments where they didn't think this was possible. maybe a little broken and bruised around the edges, but...isn't everyone?

 Sorry that this was a day late btw, got lost in the times. This story ends with a conversation that begins right after Hunter returns to life. The final chapter of Alpha Obsession- chapter 47- will be posted tonight between 11:55pm and 12:05am!! So leave a comment and tell me one thing: ARE YOU READY FOR IT?!