Chatper 35

I let them see my savagery

There were still four of them chasing after me that kept up easily with my pace. The wolves that I'd attacked hung so far back that I couldn't hear them chasing me. My lungs and heart had started burning miles back, and I was just barely keeping ahead. It occurred to me that their stamina would outlast mine if things kept going like this, but I didn't see many options. If I slowed down long enough to even look back, I knew that they would be on me.

I ran through private neighborhoods where there wouldn't be as many people out in the cold. There were a few random faces that cleared the way for me as I ran past, but it was just an amusing sight to them. If I'd learned anything about the people in Viridian, it was that no one made escalated things. They kept secrets, they smiled at insanity, and they never disrupted their daily lives more than necessary. If a boy led a small pack of wolves behind in the middle of the street, no one would think of it as more than a stunt.

I'm starting to get annoyed, Jake. Hunter said to me as I narrowly avoided being tackled again. Far up ahead, I saw him leaning against a wall with his arms crossed and a scowl that could be seen from three blocks away. His voice was so clear that I almost overlooked the fact that he had somehow gotten ahead of me during this chase.

Oh, yeah? Then by all means...let me show you how much I care...when I get a little closer. I was going to floor him as soon as my fist could reach him. The extended running was starting to slow my thoughts. Ten miles was still my limit before I turned into a sweaty mess.

I mean it. You're embarrassing me.

Shut up!

You've tamed an Alpha, but now you're running from a bunch of low-degree betas? It's making me look weak, so I need you to quit it. Just call for help and I'll at least get started with damage control.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He had been so intimate and interested in me just yesterday, but now he sounded like an absolute dick. When the distance closed, I didn't stop to say anything. I glanced at his face and saw the intense frustration steaming off him like a pot of boiling water. I'd rather get eaten than call for your help. He scowled and turned those fiery green eyes away from me. The exchange lasted less than a second, but it felt like an eternity. My heart was pounding wilder from the moment I saw him, and he could hear it too. His expression showed no concern, yet I knew it was there. I was beginning to understand and feel how intensely I affected him.

Then hurry up and bring them down, you idiot. It's not that hard to tame a lesser beta. He growled as I passed him completely.

Suddenly I realized how it worked. The night this all started. I'd seen a fully raging werewolf tamed by force, and weeks later I'd done it myself accidentally. The truth behind the myths.

I stopped running. My feet slammed into the ground so fast that I nearly tripped over from my own momentum. I took a deep breath, then tackled the wolf that was right on my heels. The sudden movement caught it off guard and I was able to latch onto its back on the way to the ground. My right arm hooked around the hound's furry neck and my left started reaching into its fur.

It tried rolling me off and snapping at my face. After coming within seconds of having my nose bitten off, my left hand found what it was searching for. I closed my grip around a warm metal buried in its dark brown fur and yanked it off. The beast went still and I rolled away quickly.

The rest of the pack caught up to me and I threw myself without thinking. My entire body left the ground and I crash landed onto the largest wolf. It immediately jumped and threw me off onto the concrete street. I squeezed the warm metal in my hand as hard as I could and shouted, "Defend me!"

The dark brown wolf I'd tackled came bounding in right as I was about to be overwhelmed. He pushed away the smallest one that had been seconds away from taking a bite out of my leg. Adrenaline kept me moving without any second thoughts or hesitation. I dived low around my tamed brown wolf and wrapped my legs around the large one's forelegs. The look of utter surprise was all I needed to buy me enough time. I punched it in the face reached into the fur below its neck.

My hand closed around another chain, and I pulled out a new dull piece of silver. The massive black wolf went rigid for a moment, but not for long. I put both chains in a death grip and commanded, "Keep them back!"

The two tamed creatures began to circle me protectively as the rest of the hunting pack came back. Now I was surrounded by over half a dozen werewolves in the middle of the street. I rose to my feet and stood tall as if my lungs weren't about to burst.

That same small black wolf that tried to snipe my legs before came darting past the two that protected me, but I was ready. I tucked down and rolled over its lunge, pulling off the silver earring that I caught sight of. Now I had three, and the rest were wary of attacking again. I could see shock and surprise in the bestial eyes that surrounded me. none of them expected things to turn as much as they did.

"I don't need your powers; I don't need your transformation. And I sure as hell don't need your approval. If you thought that I was the one who came looking for your pack, then you were all wrong! I'll do anything I have to, anything I need to, to get through each day! So, Back, Off." I roared with all the strength and anger I had in me. The betas all took tentative steps away from me, widening the circle. "These three will escort me home because of all the trouble you've put me through. I will return their possessions after the rest of you leave."

There was a long moment where no one said a thing and tension tightened the air. Then they began running away as a group with only three sticking around. I began the long walk back home with nothing on my mind at all. As soon as I made it onto my doorstep, I threw the silver pieces back to the werewolves casually and went inside without bothering to look back.

There was no doubt they would leave. Not now that I let them see my savagery.

Jake is a savage? I bet you already knew that, but now it looks like the werewolves know it too, lol. He figured out the true weaknesses of the werewolves finally, and was able to fight and bluff his way out of fatal situation. The strength of wolves lay in their stamina and the size of the pack. They normally try to wear their pray down and surround it for coordinated attacks, but he managed to break that composure by stealing the chains from a few of those Lycans. Remember those exchanges with Hunter in the beginning of the story? All the clues were there from the start :3 As usual, I absolutely love comments and feedback so tell me what you all think.

So, long time no see. I now have a way to upload reletively easily again, so there's good news right there. For those of you who are already caught up to this chapter and have been waiting for this last month, tell me what you think. Should I upload double chapters for a while to make up for lost time, or should I just return to the normal 5/week schedule?