Chapter 40.5

Hunter's PoV

An alpha like that

"I really don't like this, Hunter." My sister's best friend was almost like an older brother to me. The only difference was that he was no werewolf. So, like any other shape-shifter in the pack, he became more submissive in my presence. Nonetheless, he tried to be a strong figure for me to look up to, and he did a good job at that...most of the time.

"You say that about every idea I bring you into. I am starting to wonder if you just have a problem liking things, Allen," I told him as we crossed state lines. I got the feeling he wasn't too happy having me behind the wheel of his new Toyota. For some reason, people didn't like the idea of having a ten-year-old driving, even if I look at least 23 at the moment.

Rule #2- the alpha's rules are the only important ones

"Do you know what will happen if we get caught out here. Or if your dad finds out where we're headed. If we get caught-,"

"If we get caught, I am still the Alpha. That's all that matters, Allen," I cut him off and he made a face. My voice came out more like an angry growl than I meant it to be. I was getting hungry and my instincts were taking over slowly. Of course, I didn't apologize to him. It didn't seem like my fault if he got me riled up with his reluctance.

Rule #3- don't make the alpha angry.

We continued to drive, heading into the heart of a windy city. The shifter pack that lived in the territory had a longstanding reputation. They were seriously wealthy and powerful, but the white-fur alpha of the pack was notoriously weak despite the overall strength of his pack. "Besides, can you just imagine how cool it would be to go back home after beating a fully matured alpha? I might even shed my dark grays right away and become the youngest white alpha in history," I beamed at Allen to my side. He smirked and rolled his eyes a bit, but kept his mouth shut for the rest of the ride.

I didn't need to search for any online directions to find the local pack's home. As soon as I got within a certain range of him, it was like my instincts were pulling me in the direction of the most powerful rival. They pulled me toward a high-rise building that seemed to be somewhere between a mansion and an apartment building. There was no security at the front door, but it's not like they would have been able to stop me anyway. Nothing would stand in the way of me challenging their pack's alpha and turning my fur white.

Rule #4- the alpha never lets anyone get in his way

"You do know that this might not change anything, right? No one has ever said that beating a mature pack leader will speed up the process for you. Even if you do manage to win, this might just be a waste of time," Allen said as we hopped out of the car. He seemed determined to be the voice of reason on that particular day. Of course, that wasn't going to stop me from banging on the large white door of the five-story home.

After a few seconds, a slim blonde wearing an old-fashioned black and white maid's outfit scrambled to open the door for us. Her chest was so plump and round that her top barely held her boobs in place. My cheeks immediately felt hot and my eyes dropped to the floor. My form suddenly felt unstable and I could feel my body preparing to shrink into something more childlike.

"I am the alpha of the Viridian pack. I am here to challenge your leader to a duel," I declared quickly to try and regain my confidence. I may have squeaked a bit, but who cares?

Rule #5- every sound the alpha makes is supposed to be manly

Luckily, the maid didn't waste any more of my time bouncing in the doorway. She led me up four flights of stairs into a wide nursery-like room where a handful of people mingled. Two little children a few years younger than myself, an elegantly dressed woman with raven black hair and a regal- yet kind- expression, an overly feminine male with pale white skin and light brown hair, and lastly, a tall broad-shouldered mountain man whose entire jaw was buried in bushy brown hair. It seemed obvious that the lumberjack would be the alpha, so I walked right in ready to issue my challenge.