Chapter 5 | Text Conversations

Chapter 5

I descended down the stairs after putting Luke's clothes away in the appropriate locations in his room. My work was officially done with work until Wednesday, as it's only necessary for my to clean Luke's room and bathroom every second day, excluding weekends. So that meant that after Wednesday, I only needed to be here on friday. That's one of the best parts of my job. But the strange part is, I think I might miss Luke. I've grown kind of attached to the Seventeen year old for some reason. I'm not too sure what it is. Maybe it's his award winning smile. Or maybe it's the cute little chuckle he does when he's flirting with me. Whatever it is, I love it.

The sky was growing dark due to the sun setting. The time currently being 5:30 pm, and it's fall. This means I have to be quick to get home, considering I'm not a huge fan of the dark.

..

Quickly locking the door behind me, I turned on the tv in the centre of the lounge room of my apartment. I took a few steps towards the large curtains covering just a fraction of the windows, and tugged on the material, blocking out any darkness of the outside. Just as I did that. I heard a noise, that sounded like it was coming from my bedroom.

I grabbed the nearest object to me that seemed it could be used as a weapon, and walked slowly towards my room. I carefully lifted the object above my head before I kicked the door which creaked open very slowly.

My heart was racing as I reached out my hand to flick the light switch on. Once the room was filled with light, I frantically looked around the room- only to see nothing there. My vision averted downwards where I saw my black and white 'tuxedo' cat looking up at me with a guilty look on his face.

"Priince" I groaned, dragging out his name, whilst holding my hand over my chest where my heart is.

"You scared me!" I scolded him.

Prince looked down to the ground as he walked past me, curling his almost completely black tail around my left leg as he did so. He walked out of the room and into the kitchen, where he started obnoxiously meowing, telling me he was hungry.

I realised I hadn't looked at the object I'd picked up before, so I had a lol at what I had in my hand.

Rolling my eyes at myself, I realised that a coat hanger would've done very little to save me from the ten foot monster I had believed was in my room.

I placed the 'weapon' turned around and followed him out of the room. Why didn't i get a dog? I asked myself, currently annoyed with the creature I was sharing my apartment with. That's right. Because they're messy. And a little too territorial.

"Okay, okay" I laughed, as The 1 year old cat I had received as a birthday present from my mum continued with the frustrating repetitive sound.

I walked into the kitchen and opened up the pantry, reaching up to the top shelf, where the good quality brand cat food was sitting.

I peeled back the tin-lid, and emptied the contents into the metal bowl that my younger brother decorated which had 'prince' painted on the side. I set the bowl down on the floor next to the annoying animal which hungrily dug into the food as soon as it touched the tiles.

Now that the cat was fed, it was time to get my own food ready.

Deciding on having pasta for dinner, I once again ventured into the food closet, and grabbed the spaghetti that was placed on the third shelf up. Reaching for the pasta sauce, I walked back to the bench, bumping the door with my hip to close it.

..

I stirred the spaghetti once last time before turning off the stove, and bringing the pot towards the bench where I'd placed a wooden chopping board just seconds before so the heat wouldn't damage the very light grey surface beneath the board.

I grabbed a glass bowl from the cupboard underneath the cheap quality marble bench where I scooped a large amount of the pasta into the bowl, and the rest of the pasta into another bowl, which I covered with cling wrap and placed it in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.

I carried my dinner into the lounge room where I plonked myself onto the couch and started watching tv while digging into my pasta with the fork I had picked up before I left the kitchen.

Prince came and sat next to me on the couch, where he curled up into a tight ball and drifted off to sleep with the sound of the tv in the background.

..

Rinsing my bowl in the sink, I jumped slightly as I heard the message tone for my samsung phone go off on the coffee table. I quickly paced into the living room, where Prince was still sleeping happily on the couch, only now he was sprawled out, covering one of the two couch cushions. I picked up my phone, unlocking it, and viewing the text. I giggled when I saw who it was from.

From: Lukey:-)

Hey it's Luke :-)

I rolled my eyes as I texted him back.

To: Lukey:-)

I know, you idiot. We swapped contacts, remember? ;)

As I hit send, I instantly regretted it. I just called my bosses son an idiot. even if it was meant in a playful way, it could get me fired.

I was nervously sweating for the whole 30 seconds I was waiting for his reply. When I heard the familiar ding, my eyes darted to the phone, reading the text displayed.

From: Lukey:-)

Hey! You're mean :-( how else was I supposed to start a conversation with you? ;-)

I sighed in relief when I saw he wasn't upset from my playful remark.

To: Lukey:-)

Well, as much as I'd love to stay up and chat to you all night, I'm tired. Goodnight, Luke :)

I set my phone down as I went to get ready for bed. I brushed my teeth, washed my face, brushed my hair, the usual. Nothing that was really important. When I went to collect my phone to put on charge after turning everything in the house off, I saw a reply from Luke.

From: Lukey;-)

Goodnight, Bell. Talk to you in the morning xx

My breath hitched when I saw those two little letters at the end of his message.

Xx

Even though this could mean anything, after lunch today, I wasn't so sure it was meant as a 'friendly gesture'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note- Hey there beautiful people!

Ok, so this chapter was kind of rushed. Sorry about the terrible quality!

Off to the side, is le lovely Prince, in his fancy 'tuxedo' fur

Ugh I love these cats so much! They are beautiful!

Please vote/comment/share/follow etc. it will be greatly appreciated :)

Ok, so I shall see you next update! Byye!

*Troye Sivan music plays in the background*

~B xo